Unsprung weight (front)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsprung weight (front)

Dropping this data onto the forum in case its useful to someone.
    Up to a month ago I was running on Bilstein PSS10. Superb kit, with more than a few 'buts'.
    I'd thought that the upside down design of the shock was a great idea; lighten up the unsprung weight (mass) -the damper capsule is attached to the top mount, not the king pin.
    Seems like theres v little value in the upside down design: see sections 1 & 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unsprung.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	4666

Originally posted by 911Fiddler View Post
    Dropping this data onto the forum in case its useful to someone.
    Up to a month ago I was running on Bilstein PSS10. Superb kit, with more than a few 'buts'.
    I'd thought that the upside down design of the shock was a great idea; lighten up the unsprung weight (mass) -the damper capsule is attached to the top mount, not the king pin.
    Seems like theres v little value in the upside down design: see sections 1 & 2.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unsprung.JPG Views:	15 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	4666
    It also depends on the shock design-- you're comparing a heavier inverted shock to an lighter standard mounted shock.

E.g. the Ohlins shocks I'm running are ~half the weight of stock and inverted.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Cheers, if you get the change to take exact weights one day, Ill add the figures to the table.

Comment

Working...
      X