The tale of 2 e46 m3’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tale of 2 e46 m3’s

How can 2 cars so similar drive so different. Here’s my story.
    i wanted to drive several e46 m3’s before purchasing mine but I will focus on the 2 cleanest examples I found.
    I drove a 2005 zcp cb/cinn manual with 100k miles on it. Maintained very well exclusively at bmw dealership. Was a 1 owner car with no accident history or anything else that would cause for concern. Soon as I put it in reverse to back out of a parking spot I could tell it was very smooth. I test drove it for 15 minutes and it felt different than all the other m3’s I drove. Owner said it was all stock and looked that way but acceleration was very clean and smooth. Almost effortless. Beautiful car.

Then I hop into a 2006 non zcp manual with 47k kms. Very clean. All stock and complete service records. As soon as I got on the street with it I could tell it didn’t drive the same. It drove like the rest to be honest. A little tighter and a little more responsive but not effortless or smooth like the zcp.

what was it about the zcp? Could it have been that it was just maintained that much better than all the others. It wasn’t the suspension Or the tires, it was the acceleration. Could it have been tuned for a smoother delivery? Or was it something else. Have any of you done something to the car that made it feel the way I’m describing the zcp?

Are you sure one wasn’t tuned and “all stock” really meant mechanically stock?
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
      Are you sure one wasn’t tuned and “all stock” really meant mechanically stock?
      It’s possible. I was told by the original owner that it was not. He was an older gentleman that didn’t appear to know anything about tunes but it is possible. Can tunes do that to a stock car?

Comment

Yep

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
          Yep

Any particular tune? I’d like to get my stock m3 to run like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raym3 View Post

Any particular tune? I’d like to get my stock m3 to run like that.
            Most of the time, these days, I find that "stock" means there is no turbo under the hood, because conversations start with "it's all stock except for coilovers, bbk, carbon roof/trunk, headers, slicks, wing", lol, but I digress.

Hassan on the forum can set you up, private message him on here or HTE performance on facebook.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Raym3 View Post

It’s possible. I was told by the original owner that it was not. He was an older gentleman that didn’t appear to know anything about tunes but it is possible. Can tunes do that to a stock car?
              Tunes can definitely change the “feel” of the car since most tune change throttle mapping along with other ECU parameter modifications.

You could have also been driving one car with sport mode ON and the other with it OFF. That is a night and day difference in throttle response.
              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Pull codes from the non zcp. Could be VANOS solenoid is shot even with the low mileage. Or TPS is causing problems. Regardless you should have a look at both on a computer so you can check out basic stuff.
                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Will check. Thanks for the responses guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X