10 Years of Ownership in Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Years of Ownership in Review

Still adjusting to the new forum, so not sure if this is the proper location to post this story but I'm sure Ian or another mod will properly move if need be.

10 years ago I picked up my E46 M3 in Rockville, MD from its prior owner. To be honest, I wasn't sure I'd keep the car this long. I had serious thoughts about selling it in early 2015 but decided to keep it around. The car sat for a while in 2016 while I addressed the rod bearings and a bunch of other maintenance. I contemplated selling it again then but just as before, I decided to keep it. Every time I had thoughts of moving on, I reminded myself why I bought the car in the first place and how much satisfaction the car provides when rowing through the gears on a back country road. And to be honest, working on the car is pretty therapeutic as well.

Over the years I've tackled the VANOS, the RACP, the rod bearings, and oil leaks. Coilovers, brakes, wheels, and the list goes on.

These days I just drive the car occasionally on a nice weekend day or at a track event. It's seen a lot of miles under my ownership...95k miles to be a bit more precise. From the Carolina beaches to the Appalachian mountains to VIR to Road Atlanta and a lot of roads in between. My M3 still brings me the nostalgic joy I fondly remember years ago. It's difficult to emulate that feeling as time passes by and new cars come on the scene. And that's why this car still has a place in my garage. Still glad there's an active community of enthusiasts for these cars and vendors that continue to support the platform.

8/2/10 - the first time I saw the car in person and took it for a test drive

Click image for larger version  Name:	downsized950802001435.jpg Views:	6 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	48639

8/8/10 - retrieving the car from MD and driving it back to VA

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0006.JPG Views:	0 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	48660

The car presently

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200619_171412.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.8 KB ID:	48659
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200615_145102_214.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	48655
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200615_145102_217.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	48656
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200615_145102_253.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	48657
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bimmerfan08; 08-06-2020, 05:42 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=14312970.gif Views:	0 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	48672
    I don’t see any rock chipped paint - excellent!

Comment

PY is a great color! You don't really see them for sale nowadays
      2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
      18 R8 RWS.
      19 Vantage
      15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
      Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

love the track shots!
        • 2006 AW/IR Manual
        • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
        • Supersprint
        • KW V3
        • 996 Brembo
        • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
          My M3 still brings me the nostalgic joy I fondly remember years ago. It's difficult to emulate that feeling as time passes by and new cars come on the scene.
          Just finished my 3rd year of ownership. I get that feeling on nice crisp autumn days around the twisties. Theres always that one cool breeze that kicks up the autumn leaves as i accelerate out of the corner. And the sound of the engine building revolutions. Puts a stupid smile on my face

Comment

Always liked yourbcar and posts in the old forum. Keep it up.

Comment

Nice post Bimmerfan.
              I appreciate all of the work you put into posting DIYs. Definitely a special car, just getting better with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great! Haven't seen a PY in person in ages.
                01 M5 Dinan S-2 ish
                03 M3 Dinan S-2 ish

Comment

Fantastic little read and photos. The car still looks very clean!

Comment

Also at 10 years, attempted to sell it a couple times in 2014-15 as well but for one reason or another couldn't and just dove in deeper. Glad you didn't either, your DIYs were so helpful...them and the M3F def made it possible for me to keep going/commit haha. Probably would be in some new-fangled M if not for you. It's my weekend/fun car now; my buddy just got a 2020 M2C 6MT last week, still rather be in/under my E46 every week haha.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad to have contributed (and hopefully still contribute) to such a great community.

Originally posted by Speed Monkey View Post
                      Click image for larger version Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=14312970.gif Views:	0 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	48672
                      I don’t see any rock chipped paint - excellent!
                      My paint is not immune to imperfections. There's definitely chips here and there on the car. I chose to have a clear bra installed when I had a new bumper put on the car several years ago - it's definitely helped mitigate the number of chips.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. DIY'd a bunch, thought about selling it a few years ago, decided to keep it; glad I did. Thanks for your detailed DIYs and your contributions on the old m3f, looking forward to your posts here. Your car looks great.

Comment

5 years here and I've gone back and forth the same as you have. Ultimately there's not much available in this price range that offers the performance and driving experience that wouldn't require starting from square 1 on a whole new platform. I've even gotten used to putting a rear-facing car seat in the back. 🤣. If BMW had made a sedan, it would've been the perfect forever one car solution for me.
                          2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Here's to another 10 joy filled years!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                            2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Working...
                            X