My 3.73 ZF 4 clutch LSD build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 3.73 ZF 4 clutch LSD build

It's been on the project list for awhile but finally done! The donor is a diff from a 635CSi which is a 3.73 LSD with the ZF unit. Set me back $200. I REM polished the bearings, races and R&P.

Tools
    - 36 mm socket (2 makes life easier)
    - in/lb beam torque wrench
    - 3/8" to 1/4 adaptor
    - 1/2" to 3/8 adaptor
    - flange holder for input flange (make one)
    - flange holder for carrier flange (to measure carrier preload)
    - gear marking compound or daiper rash cream
    - dial indicator w/ base
    - heavy duty impact or long breaker bar
    - large bearing separator
    - bearing race installation kit (harbor freight)
    - chisel/punch

all other tools should be standard stuff

Assembling the LSD carrier. Notice the stock 45/45 ramps.

1. Set carrier preload with the pinion NOT in the case. Install the LSD carrier and side flanges then take a measurement. I got 10 in/lbs. Remove LSD carrier

2. Install races into case. Pinion shim goes under inner race.

3. Install pinion and get pinion snugged so there is no up and down play in the flange but no drag (don't crush the crush sleeve yet). Do NOT install input seal.

4. Reinstall LSD carrier

5. Check backlash and gear pattern. I got .0045" backlash and the gear pattern is below. I think if you reuse the shims that come with the case then it should be pretty close.

6. Once gear pattern and backlash are good, then onto setting pinion preload. Remove LSD unit.

7. Install a holder onto input flange. Made one from a long piece of angle steel with holes drilled into it.

8. Take out slack in the flange. Then give a short blast with an impact, remove holder and check preload. Repeat. Go SLOWLY! I got 16 in/lbs. Or you can use a long breaker bar.

I filled it and went to a weekend at the track. 8 20 min sessions, Tried not to slide the rear end a lot. Changed the oil after the event.

There was more understeer. I'd like to try 30/60 ramps to see if that helps. At first, the diff felt really tight, the back end chattered a couple of times when the rear tires were sliding. That went away or at least it didn't happen again. As the weekend went on, the rear tires were much more responsive than the OE diff. I would slide the tire rear tires on exit, have the steering wheel straight and could use the throttle to finish the turn and get the car straight. It was a lot easier with this ZF LSD than the OE diff.

The tech who replaced my input seal on my old diff over torqued it. It had more than 30 in/lb preload and you could barely turn it by hand. I got my new diff in and the car was faster.

Why a 3.73? With 275/40R17s, I'm close to redline on the straights at MSR Houston. Anything shorter will need a downshift. I can still achieve similar gearing as a 3.91 with 245/40R17s.

Nice work on the write up!
    Keep giving it the business on exit!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Why a 3.73? With 275/40R17s, I'm close to redline on the straights at MSR Houston. Anything shorter will need a downshift. I can still achieve similar gearing as a 3.91 with 245/40R17s.
      Why do you think you are achieving similar gearing? 275/40 shoulder is 12mm taller than 245/40, so you are offsetting some of the shorter gearing effects, no?

Comment

Great info here. Still on stock gearing but would love to upgrade one day. Thanks
        '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

Why do you think you are achieving similar gearing? 275/40 shoulder is 12mm taller than 245/40, so you are offsetting some of the shorter gearing effects, no?
          The 3.73 and 245/40R17 (not an 18) Hoosier R/A7 is about the same as a 3.91.

For DE I typically have used a 275/40R17 NT01 for mostly cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting. I'm on 275/40/17s with a 3.91 lol

I might be the only other one haha
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
              Interesting. I'm on 275/40/17s with a 3.91 lol

I might be the only other one haha
              Compared to the stock tire size...forgot to mention that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am going to install 3.91 gears so I need to have the LSD carrier bolt holes reamed out to 14mm so I can bolt up the ring gear. I am trying to get the 3.91 gears installed before my next event but my pressure plate died, axle boot is leaking, and the front splitter pulled the kevlar rebar off. I've got too much crap going on.

Thought I could leave the diff case in the car and remove the LSD carrier. Turned into a PIA so I just removed the case. Have to remove the ring gear and LSD clutch pack. Here's my chance to see how everything is holding up minus the pinion bearings.

Don't have pics of the carrier bearings and races...they looked like new. The ring gear looks the same as when it was installed.

The Racing Diffs clutches look good. The steels show some spots. Not sure if its the moly coating or burn spots. The pressure plates, spider gears and cap all look really good!

Comment

Working...
                X