Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering Rack Swap - Is an alignment needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack Swap - Is an alignment needed?

Hey everyone, I am trying to wrap my head around something and I just can't figure it out. I am upgrading my steering rack to the 712 yellow tag rack; however, my plan was to only swap out the rack. I have fairly new inner/outer tie rods, so my plan was to disconnect the inner tie rods from the rack and connect them up to the new rack (while leaving the outer tie rods still connected to the inners), install new boots, and go from there. With this in mind, do I need an alignment to set the toe again? I am leaning towards yes; however, I am missing the reason as to why. Will attaching the inner tie rods to the new rack change my toe? Can anyone enlighten me on this.
    2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

I would probably not worry about it too much, assuming both racks are in similar condition without too much internal/radial play and if you align the rack spline/plastic alignment thing (forgot what it's called) and coupler the same (so that the steering wheel is centered).

If you haven't gotten an alignment in a while, might be worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

No, you'll be fine. I did it the same way. As long as you don't loosen the collar nut in the tie rods, you won't disturb toe.

An alignment tech adjusts toe at the mid point of the tie rod, they don't touch the rack end.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        No, you'll be fine. I did it the same way. As long as you don't loosen the collar nut in the tie rods, you won't disturb toe.

An alignment tech adjusts toe at the mid point of the tie rod, they don't touch the rack end.
        Thats what I considered, I just didn't know if the slightly quicker ratio meant a slightly shorter rack internally which would change the overall front toe. It's not a huge difference, 15.4 to 13.7, so I wasn't sure.
        2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

On-center at 0 steering angle it doesn't change toe, and the ratio come from the rack and pinion gears, output being the tierods and input being the steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X