Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front seat rear panel - adhesive recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front seat rear panel - adhesive recommendations?

Hoping to get some input on which adhesive should be used to reattach the backrest panel to my drivers side front seat. looking to use the below kit from TMS and can see where adhesive was originally used at the attachment points.

Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/

I can't remember what I used when I lived in South Florida, but it only lasted about six months. Could have been lack of sufficient prep and cleaning but if you are in a hot weather climate, get something that can stand up to the heat and prep both surfaces. I'm not sure what I used the next time, but it has lasted alot longer, sorry I'm not more help.

Jonathan

Comment

Thanks, definitely need something that can withstand the AZ heat. Been poking around online and haven't decided what I'm going with yet. Seat looks so tacky without the rear panel.

Comment

Reviving this for any answers as this has happened to my seat.

What glue or epoxy would be best?

I’d be happy to use the original glue again if anybody knows where to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last time it popped off, I have used epoxy to put it back together.

Its been a few months and still holding

If it falls off again, its my excuse to get a pair of Recaro or Cobra seats…..

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
            Last time it popped off, I have used epoxy to put it back together.

Its been a few months and still holding

If it falls off again, its my excuse to get a pair of Recaro or Cobra seats…..
            Thanks, but I’m hoping someone will chime in with something that has lasted years like the original glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used JB Weld Plastic Bonder (https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe) and have had good success. I reused the original clips but carefully removed the original glue as best as I could from the clips. I left the original glue on the panel so I knew where the clips went. You can clean up the surfaces with rubbing alcohol as well for better adhesion. The product cures very quickly - like within minutes - so plan to work quickly. After you apply the product to both the clip and the original glue on the panel immediately clamp them together and wait for a few hours. If you're short on clamps only mix minimal product and do it in steps. Clamping the clips to the panel for a few hours is imperative for great adhesion. Let me know if you have any question...

Comment

I had same issue and my plastic clips were fine, just the glue came off. I did not want to buy the whole kit and was looking for just the one time use clips. Leaving the info if anyone has similar issue in future.

BMW part Number: 52201964201 >>LINK<<
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	613
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	204770

Cheers!​

Comment

i drilled through the cover and clip ..and screw-hold the clip to the back cover ..
                  (flat head screw .. and screw the nut from inside)

somehow the glue solution just didn't work for me .. when it got hot outside .. back just becomes saggy again .. (especially when kid was kicking on it to make it sag even faster ..

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                    I used JB Weld Plastic Bonder (https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe) and have had good success. I reused the original clips but carefully removed the original glue as best as I could from the clips. I left the original glue on the panel so I knew where the clips went. You can clean up the surfaces with rubbing alcohol as well for better adhesion. The product cures very quickly - like within minutes - so plan to work quickly. After you apply the product to both the clip and the original glue on the panel immediately clamp them together and wait for a few hours. If you're short on clamps only mix minimal product and do it in steps. Clamping the clips to the panel for a few hours is imperative for great adhesion. Let me know if you have any question...
                    Sounds like what I need to do. Question: What kind of clamps did you use to clamp the clips to the panel?

Comment

You can use a combination of clamps like these that you can pick up at Home Depot.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for replying. Appreciate the info! I'll give it a shot.

Comment

South Florida here.

I used epoxy first and it lasted about 3 months, second time I went with the regular JB Weld, that lasted about a year and a half. I half to redo it again.

I was thinking of drilling through and using a couple of rivets, but its probably going to look real crappy. Have the covers in the house waiting for ideas.

Comment

Working...
                          X