Euro headers vs Active Autowerke headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro headers vs Active Autowerke headers

Does anyone have experience with AA's headers? They seem on-par with Euro headers.

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...ant=1020833287
    Following the famed BMW E46 M3 CSL headers, each individual header runner of the Active Autowerke header is cut to a matched equal length to ensure a consistent exhaust scavenging (tolerance in lengths vary by bends to a mean average of 10-20mm).

Each and every BMW E46 M3 header is test fitted to an actual BMW E46 M3 motor stand.

If fit isn't a concern, the price also seems competitive with used Euro headers. AA also includes new hardware.

So why would one get used Euro headers over AA?

AA's headers are made in China. Better to get a used well made thing than a new poorly made thing, IMO.

I'd bet the OE Euros flow better, too.

And OE euros should be ~half the price of those.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      AA's headers are made in China. Better to get a used well made thing than a new poorly made thing, IMO.

I'd bet the OE Euros flow better, too.

And OE euros should be ~half the price of those.
      You really don't like China 😂

Megan headers are AA headers rebranded if you don't care who gets your money. They are made in the same place. Don't use the trash they send with the headers. You'll be replacing all the gaskets so factor OE parts into both prices. Do it right once or do it twice.

Euro headers will fit everytime. AA/Megan have a small chance of being botched but are generally good. They are 304 steel, not that Manzo garbage. I've had my Megan headers almost two years and they're still holding strong. They survived a shotgun blast of piston chunks. I'll still be moving on to Supersprints.

It'd probably be better to support a forum member selling used Euro headers than China though.

This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

hey guys, sold my euro headers last week and a friend also has a set he'd sell so im organising that for him. here s a few pics. we are in Australia but shipping is no problem. price: 650 USD inc shipping. thank you https://i.ibb.co/FsvQTsj/117720063-2679675735620761-781701325670276657-n.jpg (https://ibb.co/0BN0bBd)

There you go. Cheaper than AA

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

You really don't like China 😂

Megan headers are AA headers rebranded if you don't care who gets your money. They are made in the same place. Don't use the trash they send with the headers. You'll be replacing all the gaskets so factor OE parts into both prices. Do it right once or do it twice.

Euro headers will fit everytime. AA/Megan have a small chance of being botched but are generally good. They are 304 steel, not that Manzo garbage. I've had my Megan headers almost two years and they're still holding strong. They survived a shotgun blast of piston chunks. I'll still be moving on to Supersprints.

It'd probably be better to support a forum member selling used Euro headers than China though.
          Sometimes China is fine, sometimes not-- there's just no way to know. My company sources some things from various Chinese suppliers. Routinely they try to sneak in making things cheaper/crappier without telling us. Sometimes we catch it when it arrives, sometimes not till it's out there.

So, AA may spec 304-- but that doesn't mean that they'll get it every time, or that it'll be high quality.

People like to cite Apple as a counter example, showing that high quality things can be made there. It's really not-- Apple sends 50 people to China per day to ensure things are being produced to their standards. That's far from viable for 99.9% of companies (costs Apple $150,000,000 per year to do so, making them United Airline's #1 customer-- number 2 customer only pays $34,000,000 per year).

As a customer, buying something on a place like amazon, it's even worse-- there's often no way to distinguish between what's legit and what's a fake.
          (which is why I don't use Amazon anymore)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Sometimes China is fine, sometimes not-- there's just no way to know. My company sources some things from various Chinese suppliers. Routinely they try to sneak in making things cheaper/crappier without telling us. Sometimes we catch it when it arrives, sometimes not till it's out there.

So, AA may spec 304-- but that doesn't mean that they'll get it every time, or that it'll be high quality.

People like to cite Apple as a counter example, showing that high quality things can be made there. It's really not-- Apple sends 50 people to China per day to ensure things are being produced to their standards. That's far from viable for 99.9% of companies (costs Apple $150,000,000 per year to do so, making them United Airline's #1 customer-- number 2 customer only pays $34,000,000 per year).

As a customer, buying something on a place like amazon, it's even worse-- there's often no way to distinguish between what's legit and what's a fake.
            (which is why I don't use Amazon anymore)
            Yeah China isn't always the best. Megan and AA do right by their customers if there is an issue but it still doesn't just the 5 year olds in the factories making a dollar a day. I bought some Bosch plugs from O'Reilly's and four turned out to be Chinese fakes. Misfires were aweful. I'm glad we are standing up against China finally. Hopefully that continues. I'll pay more for things. I pretty much try to buy from America as is at this point. I just ordered Chemical Guys microfibers and they all said made in China. That disappointed me majorly as I expected them to be made here.

Comment

Super interesting!

Comment

Working...
              X