Oil Catch Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Catch Can

You guys running catch cans? I havent seen anything on this forum about running them. I just bought one, N/A people running them are you catching a lot?

I know some people do have them. I’m not sure if it does very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Old forum had quite a few posts on this. People were getting an ounce or so a month. Keeps the intakes cleaner. I'm surprised people don't run more because I wouldn't want oil dumped in my carbon fiber intake.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have been reading up on them lately.... some people say
        It is only worth it once you are stepping away from NA engines.(going SC or Turbo)

Others say its a must.
        I cant find solid data that it hurts our engines.

I will be running one as well.
        I have 2 buddies with s54's heavily tracked, they really recommend it

Comment

I deleted mine for weight savings. I would collect quite a bit. It's mostly vapor that gets burned off tho. Inside of cf airbox is still clean even without it.

unnecessary imo
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

If I do something, I’d rather use a breather which would eliminate any recirculating.

Comment

Not running one, not going to be running one. Assuming you drive more than a couple miles per drive, most of what it collects (water) burns off. The rest (oil) I'd rather keep in circulation.

Our oil separator system is reliable and works really well. I have no desire to add complexity, weight, and additional upkeep for no tangible benefit in exchange.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                Inside of cf airbox is still clean even without it.
                Well that's good to hear.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Previous owner of my car installed a Radium catch can with the CSL intake and it leaks all the time. It's 90% track, 10% street and I barely get any liquids (but there is a lot of leaking, so maybe it's just seeping down the bottom of the drug bin). So YMMV, but I'm not convinced.
                  2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                  2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

I have the Radium catch can with the Stock intake. No leaks, it collects liquid in it after some miles. For example after driving to/from Mpact there was less than an ounce. Id rather keep that out of the intake.
                    '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Originally posted by e46mpwrd View Post
                      I have the Radium catch can with the Stock intake. No leaks, it collects liquid in it after some miles. For example after driving to/from Mpact there was less than an ounce. Id rather keep that out of the intake.
                      Water evaporates
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Water evaporates
                        Sure, but its not all water if that what you are getting at. Definitely an oily water mixture (looks like bad coffee) that would be sprayed all inside my intake. Based on what I have seen it would be such a small amount but Id rather it be clean. I would post pictures but I haven't driven enough.
                        Last edited by e46mpwrd; 09-21-2020, 08:45 AM.
                        '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          Not running one, not going to be running one. Assuming you drive more than a couple miles per drive, most of what it collect (water) burns off. The rest (oil) I'd rather keep in circulation.

Our oil separator system is reliable and works really well. I have no desire to add complexity, weight, and additional upkeep for no tangible benefit in exchange.
                          This.

Comment

Im not sure if its the rebreathed oil vapors or an oiled bmc filter i used forever or both or neither but after 150k miles i had the pleasure of hand cleaning my itbs off the car. The other side of the flaps is caked up black sh!t everywhere.

I was hoping this would be prevented somewhat by the catch can. Is this not the case?

Comment

Actually...aren’t you giving up some HP by not recirculating into the air intake?

I would hope that it’s mostly fuel and not oil. Shouldn’t the oil separator catch most of the oil?

Comment

Working...
                              X