Washer Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Washer Pump Replacement

Re-posting this quick and easy DIY that I wrote on the old forums. The following instructions are for replacing either the windshield washer pump or the headlight washer pump.

Windshield Pump Parts:
    • Windshield Washer Pump (67128362154)
    • New Strainer and Gasket (61667006063)

Headlight Pump Parts:
    • Headlight Washer Pump (67128377430)

Tools:
    • Jack Pads, Floor Jack, and Jack Stands
    • Fluid Catch Basin
    • 1/2" Breaker Bar, Torque Wrench, and 17mm Deep Socket
    • 1/4" 8mm Socket and Wrench
    • Flathead Screwdriver

Procedure:
    1. Loosen the front right wheel using a breaker bar and 17mm socket.
    2. Raise the front end of your car and support it with jack stands. You won't need to go under the car, but always ensure that your car is securely supported by jack stands. Remove the front right wheel and place it under the car for extra security.
    3. Remove the front lower panel of the wheel liner by removing the 8mm screws around it and underneath the bumper. You may not need to fully remove it to access the washer fluid reservoir and pumps.
    4. Locate the pump you need to replace. They are fairly different looking, but the windshield washer pump is the one farther right.
    5. Remove the electrical harness from the pump by depressing the plastic tab and pulling up. Hold the pump down with one hand because they are only pressure fitted into the reservoir.
    6. Prepare your pump for installation by installing the strainer (if required). Visualize how it will go in because you'll need to act fast after pulling the old one out.
    7. Place your fluid catch basin underneath the pump. Remove the hose from your pump. The windshield washer pump's hose comes off very easily, but the headlight washer pump's hose is held in place by a clip and is fairly hard to pull off. Liquid will pour out of the pump after removing the hose, so be prepared to block it with your finger.
    8. Here comes the fun part. Pull up gently on the pump to remove it from the reservoir. A lot of fluid will begin to spill from the reservoir, so be ready to quickly swap the new pump in.
    9. Once the new pump is in, it will begin spilling liquid out of the hose hole again, so quickly re-install the hose (and clip if required). Replace the electrical harness.
    10. Button your wheel liner back up using the 8mm screws. Be thankful that BMW used screws instead of some kind of plastic clip.
    11. Reinstall your wheel and torque the lugs down to 88 ft-lbs. For the truly pure of heart fans, that's 88.50746 ft-lbs.
    12. Refill your reservoir with the spilled fluid if your pan was clean, otherwise just responsibly dispose of it and fork over a few bucks for a new jug.
    That's all there is to it. I'm sure this is too much detail for some, but it might also save a poor soul from making my mistake and pulling the wrong pump out the first time . If someone knows a better way to do this that doesn't involve gushing washer fluid, please let me know. I'm sure you could drain the reservoir, but that's probably more work than it's worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	overview.png
Views:	1593
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	5763

Thanks for this. My tank is leaking and now that my brake upgrade is done I want to look into this. Do you know of any common issues with the tank that lead to a leak?

Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
      Thanks for this. My tank is leaking and now that my brake upgrade is done I want to look into this. Do you know of any common issues with the tank that lead to a leak?

Jesse
      Short of the tank just being damaged and needing to be replaced, it's possible that one of the pumps could have come loose. They're just friction fitted into the holes with rubber bits sealing against the tank, so there's really nothing stopping them from coming out a bit and causing a leak. You might also check the fluid level sensor which I believe can also be spotted in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Jesse
        I've been fighting a seemingly intermittent leak on mine as well. Mine's leaking from where the pump connects to the tank. Like Stepsools said above, I think mine is just popping out of the friction-fitted hole since there is nothing else holding it down. I keep having to get in there and make sure it is flush to the tank.I just ordered a new rubber gasket (61667006063), thinking maybe my rubber is old causing it to pop out easier. If that doesn't work, I'll have to think of some other way to hold the pump down more permanently.

Only other thing I can think of would be fluid level sensor on the bottom of tank, pictured below. This pic was taken yesterday and it's currently filled with degreaser to get rid of all the mold in my tank.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpeg
Views:	791
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	6023
        Attached Files
        -Brandon
        2005 M3 BMW Individual Sterling Gray / Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Many thanks gentlemen. I am hoping to tackle this project Sunday.

Jesse
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Anybody have luck replacing the windshield washer pump without removing the wheel? Looks like it might be possible to access it by just moving the wheel liner out of the way

Comment

Originally posted by Moi View Post
              Anybody have luck replacing the windshield washer pump without removing the wheel? Looks like it might be possible to access it by just moving the wheel liner out of the way
              I guess I did it the hard way when I did mine--I pulled the front bumper off. Doh...

Comment

FYI I was able to replace the pump without removing the wheel.

Turn the wheel all the way to the right, take out a few of those 8mm screws, and move the liner out of the way

Comment

Working...
                X