Car insurance tracking software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance tracking software

Anyone using this "discount" that car insurance companies want you to install? What's the deal with this? Hook up an insurance provided fob to your OBD interface and it records, from what I gather, speed, location, braking, acceleration et. al? Then the fob bluetooths to your phone for an upload to your insurance company? Anyone using this? If so, what exactly is it tracking?

lol no.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

If I had that installed I definitely won’t be getting any discounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Hard acceleration event detected"
        "Hard acceleration event detected"
        "Hard braking event detected"

Oh, we shouldn't give him any discount.

Oh look, he's driving on a track. Let's cancel his renewal next year

Comment

just unplug it.. i have it through allstate, i never have it plugged in.. kind of defeats the purpose though.
          Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Insurance company: Do you speed?
            Me: No

Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=12599954.gif
Views:	395
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	60242
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I think you should do this.

Comment

I believe you meant to post this in the Prius/Tesla/Leaf circlejerk forum.

Comment

Seems very intrusive and it really leaves the door open to the insurance companies to interpret the data any way they wish.

On the other hand, I would consider it if I was a business owner with fleet vehicles that are already speed limited.

Comment

These devices set a scary precedent for the way automotive insurance will function in the coming decades.
                    E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Sell the car, take the bus

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Never lol

Comment

LOL is post is funny on an m3 car forum. If I had this on my m3, my insurance would drop me in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post
                            just unplug it.. i have it through allstate, i never have it plugged in.. kind of defeats the purpose though.
                            When my insurance company offered it, I asked - what do I do when I go to the track? Their answer - just unplug it, we don't track the mileage of the car against the miles logged on the tracker.

Edit: I still didn't take them up on their offer.
                            Last edited by Andrew 06M3Cab; 10-08-2020, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post
                              These devices set a scary precedent for the way automotive insurance will function in the coming decades.
                              Agreed. Need to protect our privacy.

Comment

Working...
                              X