Can't find an M7x1 thread chaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find an M7x1 thread chaser

I am having one heck of a time locating a M7×1 internal thread chaser, could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
    I am having one heck of a time locating a M7×1 internal thread chaser, could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    My opinion... Just use a m7x1 tap.

I've never had luck using thread chasers anyway. They are basically just hardened bolts with flutes. They are brittle and break easily.

Take your time with cutting fluid and the tap. With existing threads its really hard to seat the tap incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

My opinion... Just use a m7x1 tap.

I've never had luck using thread chasers anyway. They are basically just hardened bolts with flutes. They are brittle and break easily.

Take your time with cutting fluid and the tap. With existing threads its really hard to seat the tap incorrectly.
      Agreed, just take your time. Use this stuff:

OP, were you able to get that broken stud out?

Comment

They car is at local shop that will try to drill out the flush broken stud. The owner came over last weekend and thought they just may be able to pull it off, fingers crossed. I told them if they feel as if they may come close to damaging the head to just stop and I'll take it to Chicane MS in Kansas.
        Cyl. 4 has the broken stud and Cyl. 1 has one that only goes about 1/2 in, may have to live with that as the quarters are so tight to chase/tap etc.
        The dealership in Omaha quoted $7500 to pull the head and reinstall it after I found a machine shop to fix the head, wow. I didn't ask what Chicane charged for that job but I'll likely find out soon.
        I cant fathom the costs of having to find a different head and have mine pulled and a that installed. So hopefully the worst case is my exiting head is pulled/fixed/installed by Chicane in Kansas.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Has anyone been able to locate an M7 thread chaser?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            Has anyone been able to locate an M7 thread chaser?
            McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Or, just get a hardened M7 bolt - cut some flutes in it with a grinder.

But, anything a chaser can do a tap can do better. I’ve had plenty of threaded holes feel fine with a chaser but wouldn’t take the fastener. Tap cleaned them out correctly.

Not sure why people don’t like using taps. Chasers are just as brittle and require just as much finesse.

Comment

taps can remove material, chasers are not supposed to.
              Certain thread fits are tight tolerance and shouldn't be loosened up. Really depends on the application. 90% of the time a tap is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                taps can remove material, chasers are not supposed to.
                Certain thread fits are tight tolerance and shouldn't be loosened up. Really depends on the application. 90% of the time a tap is fine.
                Yeah I used a tap with lots of cutting fluid. worked fine. would have preferred a chaser. My chaser kit (like others) includes a 6 and 8 mil. No reason they couldn't produce a 7. It's an odd size so they just don't make one

Comment

Working...
                X