No announcement yet.

Daily, Track, Sell: '95 Dinan S3 vs '02 M3 vs '02 996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which is why I want one. they're starting to go up, but they're always going to be the least expensive 911. 997s have to go up in value before 996s get anymore expensive. 997s are still around high 20s low 30s.

my kids are almost big enough to both be in booster seats which then works in a pinch in either the 911 or M3. I think I've got the wife on board with this idea. to think I will have bought an M3, an E90 330, and a 996/997 for less total money than her F15 X5 cost makes me giggle.

Comment

996 is the only one with stock seats and no cage, so it's the daily.

e36 is the worse track car (supercharger, S52, all the e36 chassis weak points), so sell it.

Which leaves the e46 as the track car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        996 is the only one with stock seats and no cage, so it's the daily.

e36 is the worse track car (supercharger, S52, all the e36 chassis weak points), so sell it.

Which leaves the e46 as the track car.
        This is what I'm leaning toward. The E46 has more potential. All E36 woes aside, it's more fun/exciting to drive than the E46 on track at the moment. The E46 is too "easy" to drive. I wish I could find someone local with the same power mods as you so I could get a ride along. That would make this decision a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff.T View Post

This is what I'm leaning toward. The E46 has more potential. All E36 woes aside, it's more fun/exciting to drive than the E46 on track at the moment. The E46 is too "easy" to drive. I wish I could find someone local with the same power mods as you so I could get a ride along. That would make this decision a lot easier.
          My car is making exactly the same the same whp as your e36, so I'd imagine my car feels similar to your car with 500 lbs of extra ballast :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I think you have to sell one of the M3s. Too similar and both seem pretty track focused at this point. Maybe list both and see which sells first? I don't think the supercharged s52 will last as long as a well setup s54 on the track, so that would be a consideration also.

Do you have any aspirations of racing? May consider what class and which car might fit that better down the road.

Comment

keep the good track car (E36) and the good DD (996), sell the unnecessary inbetween car (E46 M3)

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post
                a 996.2 C2 silver/black/manual with average service history/spec is low $20s
                just based on OP's picture and mileage, this is currently at least a high $20s 996

Own a Porsche? Join the largest single marque car club in the world. Over 150,000 of your fellow Porsche owners already have. Join PCA Today!

Comment

Honestly, the E36 and E46 both look like track cars lol. I'd go E46 as the track car and keep the 996 as the daily.

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

just based on OP's picture and mileage, this is currently at least a high $20s 996

Own a Porsche? Join the largest single marque car club in the world. Over 150,000 of your fellow Porsche owners already have. Join PCA Today!

well, of course PCA would say that, and the buyer (me) says otherwise.

it's a silver car, probably the least desirable color, it's not low-mileage in this market, I can't tell how it's optioned, IMS status, etc. here's another similar car, in black this time, asking $27,500. which means it's selling for <$25k.

Comment

The 996's biggest problem is that the 997 exists. It will always be the floor of the water-cooled market, but the more analog (pre-991) cars are all moving upwards as a whole. I'd bet that any 996 will hold value at worst from this point forward, if it's in any type of good condition.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Ok i'll be the odd man out. Restore the e46 to factory and DD, Track mod the 996 to the hilt, and sell the e36

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
                          Ok i'll be the odd man out. Restore the e46 to factory and DD, Track mod the 996 to the hilt, and sell the e36
                          I think that's the mostly logical way to use these cars if they were all stock, but...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                            The 996's biggest problem is that the 997 exists. It will always be the floor of the water-cooled market, but the more analog (pre-991) cars are all moving upwards as a whole. I'd bet that any 996 will hold value at worst from this point forward, if it's in any type of good condition.
                            I really wish I would have jumped on board when you could get them all day for $20k...but we were in the middle of a move and had all our funds tied up. But yes, the 996 will always be the price entry point for 911 ownership. It has all the negatives; first water cooled, parts-bin-boxster-development, IMS, headlights, cheaper interior materials, it's not the "last analog" car that the 997 is, and purists will always scoff at it.

However, I don't care about any of those things except for the interior quality. Other enthusiasts are figuring it out also and starting to drive up the price. I kinda want the C4S 996 and rip out the AWD components, but that gets you right up to 997 territory.

<$30k 997 https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest

Comment

I could see 991s eventually, very long term, being worth less than 996s. Too big, shitty steering. Right now they have the "fast" value tweak, but IMO the 996 is a better sports cars.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

as of now, I loathe the modern 911. turbos and they're kinda losing their form factor also. so you might be right.

996 to me, is the most "boring" looking in base C2 trim, especially silver. not much going on there. hated engine on top of it. but it's kinda like buying an old DX civic from the 90s/00s. your starting point isn't anything to get excited about, but the 996 chassis is lighter than the 996, and you can bolt on much of the GT3 bits (or type R to continue the analogy), I think at least through the 997 generation. from shift linkage to control arms and brakes.

my racer math says you can get the car for $25k, put another $15k or so into the chassis and basic bolt ons and you've got a GT3-lite that you can drive the piss out of without feeling bad about it for less than half the cost. of course if you end up popping the motor and need to drop another $15k to rebuild it, you shoulda just got the mezger to start with.

Comment

Working...
                                X