Daily, Track, Sell: '95 Dinan S3 vs '02 M3 vs '02 996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I think that's the mostly logical way to use these cars if they were all stock, but...
    True, just seems like the e46 would be relatively easy to restore factory as an oem+ version. Recoup some funds in the process and fully dedicate the 996 to track which would be a fun project...OP's father might even join in on the weekend? Its a win win

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

well, of course PCA would say that, and the buyer (me) says otherwise.

well, i'd say you are a potential buyer, and the PCA article is about what actual buyers are paying money for. as someone who has kept an eye on the 996 and s2000 market for some time now, i'd say if you're serious then now is the time to buy since it looks like we've experienced the bottom of the depreciation curve for these cars

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

the 996 will always be the price entry point for 911 ownership.

It has all the negatives; cheaper interior materials

agreed with all your points except for the interior materials. maybe it's because i've only seen the complete leather interior 996s, but i've found interior quality to be very good on them, and especially superior to the E46

Comment

I think that's the mostly logical way to use these cars if they were all stock, but...

was going to originally suggest this but generally someone who's looking to free up room by getting rid of a car is usually not interested in another taking on another car project

OP has a turnkey track car (E36) and a turnkey DD (996), makes sense to get rid of the jack of all trades in this case

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

well, i'd say you are a potential buyer, and the PCA article is about what actual buyers are paying money for. as someone who has kept an eye on the 996 and s2000 market for some time now, i'd say if you're serious then now is the time to buy since it looks like we've experienced the bottom of the depreciation curve for these cars

agreed with all your points except for the interior materials. maybe it's because i've only seen the complete leather interior 996s, but i've found interior quality to be very good on them, and especially superior to the E46
            well that's fair. I am pretty serious. Back in the early 00's I was between buying a S14 240sx and an E30 M3. I went with the S14....regret that one. After I sold all my racing stuff I was between a ZHP and the M3, got the M3 obviously and that was a great move. I'm trying not to miss the boat on potential 911 ownership. However we've got this upcoming roof replacement and job change that's putting a damper on things. The funds are sitting there in the bank, just the uncertainty is putting things on hold.

hopefully we get everything solidified and I can find a deal on one this winter while nobody is going anywhere or doing anything.

The 996 that I drove I didn't find the interior quality to be superior to the M3 at all. It's mainly the buttons/switches and center stack of plastics that kinda ruin it. Looking for an extended leather package was on my list of requirements along with LSD and a manual.
            Last edited by tnord; 10-23-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The 996 > 997.1 interior jump is pretty big, and the 997.2 is even better. Hard to beat a 997.2 C2S for a weekend car.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post

True, just seems like the e46 would be relatively easy to restore factory as an oem+ version. Recoup some funds in the process and fully dedicate the 996 to track which would be a fun project...OP's father might even join in on the weekend? Its a win win
                I wish it was that easy to return it back to stock. I'd hate to cut out a perfectly good, tight fitting roll bar:

Another option is to sell 2 cars, keep one for the track, and daily a Space Grey 2011 E90 M3 ZCP w/ DCT. My friend has one in he isn't using. It just sits in his warehouse. This doesn't seem like a bad option either but the weight of a E90 makes them feel less sporty.
                Last edited by Geoff.T; 10-23-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff.T View Post

Another option is to sell 2 cars, keep one for the track, and daily a Space Grey 2011 E90 M3 ZCP w/ DCT. My friend has one in he isn't using. It just sits in his warehouse. This doesn't seem like a back option either but the weight of a E90 makes them feel less sporty.
                  I would do that, keeping the E46 for track.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                    The 996 > 997.1 interior jump is pretty big, and the 997.2 is even better. Hard to beat a 997.2 C2S for a weekend car.
                    I've never even been in a 997. I need to take one for a spin before I decide.

Really, I have very little experience with P cars of any kind. I drove a 996.2C4 (S?) once that was in decent shape. It didn't blow me away, but I liked it. About 6mos later I drove a ratty 996.2 C2 and a Cayman S of roughly the same year. Neither were in good shape, but I don't remember the Cayman having a dramatically nicer interior than the 996?

Really it just seems like getting the chance to own and experience the 911 is something an automotive enthusiast should do if they can, I don't want to let me window slip away.

Comment

Dedicating the e46 to full track duty and dailying the 996 would be my choice. The flat 6 sound is so intoxicating that it makes even slow driving fun IMO. Plus you get to daily a 911 without worrying about depreciation. How neat is that??

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff.T View Post

I wish it was that easy to return it back to stock. I'd hate to cut out a perfectly good, tight fitting roll bar:
                        Keep the roll bar and you get OEM ++? No one uses the back seat anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post

Keep the roll bar and you get OEM ++? No one uses the back seat anyhow
                          Except a roll bar is a huge safety negative without a helmet and the back seat is super useful.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Except a roll bar is a huge safety negative without a helmet and the back seat is super useful.
                            Interesting, wasnt aware about the safety issue with roll bars, but now you mention it makes sense. I dunno i never use the back too cramped for anything other than a baby seat

Comment

I understand Ian's point on the rollbar, but I think just the back half is fine on the street. it's a factory option in too many street cars. agree that a full cage on the street is a bad idea.

Comment

Keep them all.

🤷‍♂️

Comment

Working...
                                X