Hawk Brake Pad Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawk Brake Pad Differences

I have a 03, and mistakenly ordered Hawk HP+ front pads for a 01-02, as opposed to their HP+ for 03-06. Does anyone know what the differences are?

"Special Application Notes: can fit all E46 M3 but best fit on 2001-2002 models"

I had no idea the brakes were different on the 01-02 vs 03-06

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
    I have a 03, and mistakenly ordered Hawk HP+ front pads for a 01-02, as opposed to their HP+ for 03-06. Does anyone know what the differences are?

"Special Application Notes: can fit all E46 M3 but best fit on 2001-2002 models"

I had no idea the brakes were different on the 01-02 vs 03-06
    The brake pad shape didnt change. Those pads should be fine. The compound is different but unless you're tracking it shouldn't make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

The brake pad shape didnt change. Those pads should be fine. The compound is different but unless you're tracking it shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks. Yeah, I am tracking, at CMP this weekend, but it prob won't make a diff with my lap times anyway, old and slow. I'll prob only track this car 2 more times this year, so I did not want track pads, as I may be changing directions next year and going with an air cooled car. Anyway, so there are two part numbers for the HP+:

2001-02 Front: HB135N.760

2003-06 Front: HB464N.764

Are different compounds due to weight differences?

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I am tracking, at CMP this weekend, but it prob won't make a diff with my lap times anyway, old and slow. I'll prob only track this car 2 more times this year, so I did not want track pads, as I may be changing directions next year and going with an air cooled car. Anyway, so there are two part numbers for the HP+:

No the difference is in brake bias differences due to the change in master cylinders between the mk20 and mk60.

Comment

Called Hawk, Both partno's are same compound. the 135 is a bigger pad, 1mm longer, 3mm taller then the 464 pad, according to Hawk.

Comment

Called Hawk, Both partno's are same compound. the 135 is a bigger pad, 1mm longer, 3mm taller then the 464 pad, according to Hawk.
            As far as i know there is no caliper change between model years, just master cylinder.

There are ZCP brakes which may take a larger pad shape.

Comment

Confirmed. RealOEM uses same part number for all model years for brake pads:

Not sure what Hawk is talking about.

Comment

HP+ are bad juju for the track.

If you are on them and sense the smallest braking effectiveness reduction - get off track or take two cooldown laps.

I would try to get off them pronto.

Comment

^Sound advice. Good for Auto-x but they will vaporize on track. Get a DTC60 or 70 pad for real track duty.

Comment

Based on the op's original post of "old and slow" I think they'll be ok. But agree with the above, hp+ on track with grippy summer performance tires might be too much.

First track event I ever went to in a B8.5 A4 with EBC Yellow Stuff pads and all season tires. They seemed fine on track. Took them off after the event and the pad material fell apart.

Pay attention to what the car is doing in the braking zone. If you feel the pedal start go soft back off the brakes.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice we'll see. I'm only running in the intermediate group, so I'll take it pretty easy. Been using cheap street pads and tires, but I'm pretty easy on the brakes. If I end up keeping the car, I'll definitely take your advice for next year, and go to track pads, as well as paying attention to the braking feel.

That's really weird about the difference in pad sizes. If I have time I'll measure both sets, as I over-nighted the 464, going to install in the morning before I leave.

Again, I really appreciate all the advice.

tim
                      Last edited by Flat-Six; 10-29-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Yea I would ditch those pads. I tried tracking them at Roebling Road and almost died into turn 1.

Comment

Originally posted by specializedbndt View Post
                          Yea I would ditch those pads. I tried tracking them at Roebling Road and almost died into turn 1.
                          I guess it's really depends on what you are used to, and how you drive (limits) with what you have. I ran RR back in June with Street Pads (AutoZone specials!!!) and did not have a problem, but then my best lap time was only a 1:33, second time at a HPDE. But again, I am pretty easy on brakes. That track did eat my tires though, but I was running NO negative camber. I've since taken my car to MSW for alignment and a scale. I'll be back at RR in Dec, curious to see how the car does with new alignment and better pads (but not much better from what you guys are telling me). I'll get serious next year!

My Brother pulled 1:30's all day long at RR in a bone stock 2005 330i with cheap tires and cheaper street pads. His late model broke, so his wife drove the 330i down just so he could run Sat afternoon and Sun. He's bringing his Late Model to CMP this weekend. Hopefully he's got all the bugs out of it.
                          Last edited by Flat-Six; 10-30-2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Update: I ran in A group all weekend at CMP, had no problems at all with the HP+ pads, actually it was a tremendous improvement over the pads that I was tracking. I'll prob just keep using these until I wear them out, then I may give the PFC08's a try. I also run the HP+ on my 930 with no issues, 100HP more than the m3, but around 500lbs less.

Comment

Update: I ran in A group all weekend at CMP, had no problems at all with the HP+ pads, actually it was a tremendous improvement over the pads that I was tracking. I'll prob just keep using these until I wear them out, then I may give the PFC08's a try. I also run the HP+ on my 930 with no issues, 100HP more than the m3, but around 500lbs less.
                              Glad to hear it!

Comment

Working...
                              X