CSL Airbox & SMOG, passing without uninstalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Airbox & SMOG, passing without uninstalling

Looking for some help to confirm this idea. A fellow member posted about swapping the stock DME (with stock software) and running it without uninstalling the CSL airbox and running it without MAP, MAF, or IAT sensors.

I don’t need to worry about passing visual.

Any ideas how this would work? I’m thinking just unplug the MAF and IAT sensors and swap in the stock DME.

I might have to virginize my stock DME IIRC.
    2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
    Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
    Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
    Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
    Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
    Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Pretty sure someone recently asked the same question. All I got out of it is that I don't wanna live in California.

Good luck homie.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

The CSL tune will most likely not be able to communicate with the State emissions computers. Unfortunately, you have to swap back to stock DME w/ stock airbox & MAF sensor in order to pass.

Comment

"Pretty sure someone recently asked the same question. All I got out of it is that I don't wanna live in California."

100%

Comment

it looks like you've worked with Kassel on getting your airbox set up

you should reach out to them and let them know your situation. they do offer a potential solution for your situation

copying and pasting my experience that i posted in another thread below

my personal experience doesn't provide any concrete evidence as to what works or not, which is why i consider it a grey area still
          I sent my ECU (MAP sensor CSL spec DME with PC tune) to Kassel because they said they could get it to read on california smog computers. when i got it back my car wouldn't even turn over so i sent it back to them again to change who knows what (communication was great with them and they were always willing and able to help).
          when i got the ECU back the car started up and ran like normal, but still wouldn't read on California smog equipment.
          I talked to a former forum member and he said state computers vary and sometimes it's as simple as turning the car off and on again while it's still hooked up to the computer
          went back, asked the smog tech to try that and it worked would it have worked without any of the Kassel changes? can't say for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            Pretty sure someone recently asked the same question. All I got out of it is that I don't wanna live in California.

Good luck homie.

there are power adders for other cars (s2000, miata) that make huge power and are still CARB legal

i'd say this is a failure of the tuner community more than result of an overzealous bureaucracy

Comment

If you live in California, specifically near Los Angeles, just ask around. Someone always knows someone that makes sure your car will "pass". You pay a premium but its better than having to stock out your car.

OEM NUT
              IG:@stockxgarage

Comment

Originally posted by DapperM3 View Post
                Someone always knows someone that makes sure your car will "pass".
                a lot of things have changed in the past couple of years, this is one of them

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

a lot of things have changed in the past couple of years, this is one of them
                  Agreed. Dmv has cracked down alot and has become more strict with smog software protocols. Still, plenty of shops out there. You just have to know people .😷

OEM NUT
                  IG:@stockxgarage

Comment

I can recommend you to someone. But yes you need to swap back to stock, that's the easiest, cheapest way.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Good luck homie.

Sounds about right. I hope the golden gem of the continental US gets shine back soon. ***one can hope, I know it's a lost cause***

Comment

So I've seen a lot of these posts about not being able to pass smog inspections. No need to swap tunes as long as the AIF fields are populated + the correct VIN. If you send me your complete bin file I can make the necessary changes, but there are some caveats that we can discuss offline (more along the lines of permanent DTC suppression of required emission components).

Comment

Just want to follow up so anyone searching this thread gets an answer.

TL;DR Kassel verified my tune should be able to be read. Turning it off and back on allowed the OBD2 reader to work.

Longer version:
                          A month or so ago, I brought it to the shop and left the car running. Plugged in the OBD2 cable and couldn’t get it to communicate.

Contacted Kassel and sent them the partial read. They verified it should be able to communicate.

Today, I went back to the same shop. Before hooking it up to the smog computer, we tried 2 OBD2 code readers. First one, tried turning it off and on. Didn’t work.

The 2nd OBD2 code reader by Matco did with the off/on trick after a few tries. We initiated the connection, waited 5-8 seconds, turned car off then on. It established connection.

Without turning the car off, we connected it to the smog computer. Connected without issue. Passed smog!

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Will go through it again in another 2 years, yay
                          2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                          Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                          Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                          Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                          Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                          Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Nice! So even this "fix" seems very temperamental - - sounds like its a 50/50 chance it establishes connection with the State emissions equipment.

What's weird though is that it seems to communicate just fine with generic OBD II readers. Wonder if Kassel or any of the other tuners on here will come up with a permanent fix in the future?

Comment

I live in NC and the emissions computer will not communicate with the OBD showing that the systems are not ready, therefore the emissions test cannot be run. I have the CSL tune from Kassel. I spoke with them earlier and they indicated that there is no patch as indicated in another thread. I am going to purchase another DME and have it flashed with an Alpha-N tune, install it, drive from an inspection station and back and see how it goes. I will post and update for those dealing with the system readiness issue in NC.
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Working...
                              X