Leaking spark plug gasket and valve cover stud gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking spark plug gasket and valve cover stud gaskets

So, I've had my VC off a few times in the last two years, and each time, I replace all seals with new BMW rubber: VCG, VC stud grommets, and spark plug tube gaskets, the works.

I also carefully follow the recommended torque sequence for the 13 valve cover stud bolts every time I put it back together.

And yet, every time, there is always one valve cover stud grommet (I think second from the back on the intake side), and one spark plug tube gasket that seems to leak. The valve cover stud grommet is a slow leak, but it shows up over time on the valve cover. The spark plug tube is cylinder 2, and is evidenced by finding a bit of oil in the spark plug tube for cyl 2 whenever I take the coil out. Again, a slow/small leak. It's leaking in from halfway down the tube (which is where the upper part of the tube mates to the head, which is what the the interface that the spark plug gasket is sealing, yes?)

What could I be doing wrong? Any tips for somehow doing this more meticulously than I have been? Or is there perhaps some deeper issue (warped cover? idk, the car's never overheated) that could be causing this? These are very small leaks and don't seem like big deals, but this kind of shit bothers me. I should be able to correct this, right?? Has anyone else successfully rooted out this kind of issue?

Any advice/insight appreciated no worries if part of your suggestion involves new seals, I have FCP warranty.
    Last edited by ATB88; 11-14-2020, 12:53 PM.

Cyl 2? Could be spilled oil from adding oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it isn't spilled oil maybe it was overtorqued previous to your ownership and warped that way. Sometimes the studs break, sometimes they don't. Just a thought. Check for physical defects on the valve cover like faulty casting or scratching.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
      X