Mini-review: "Green tag" non-M Z3 rack on E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini-review: "Green tag" non-M Z3 rack on E46 M3

Howdy everyone, I hope this might help anyone who (like me recently) is on the fence about making this upgrade. tl;dr: Do it!

I recently installed a "green tag" Z3 rack (out of a 1.9L) into my E46 M3. The good news is that all the M3 tie rods hook right up, all you need is the rack itself. I sourced the rack on ebay and had it installed by Edge Motorworks in Fremont, CA (shout out Derek & co!

The reason I selected the rack is based mostly on recommendations read on other forums. While "yellow tag" and "purple tag" both sounded like improvements, the Z3 "green tag" was unique in that it was quick & linear (EDIT: Turns out all those racks are linear, but Z3 is quickest). It seemed like fellow owners who had performance oriented builds spoke the most highly about this feature, since it nullifies that "dead spot" feeling as you begin to turn the wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	2235
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	69492

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.2 KB ID:	68004ā€‹

Here are my impressions after ~100 miles of highway and twisty driving:
    • Overall feel is massively improved and notably heavier in a very satisfying way. The first time I was able to set up the car for a sweeping onramp, I literally LOL'd.
    • There is a crispness and "electricity" to the steering that was lacking before. I should note that half the inspiration for the swap was a leaking PS system, so some of this may just be maintenance. But overall, I feel like I have a new sense of what the front tires are doing through the wheel.
    • I wouldn't describe the steering as nervous or twitchy but it's not relaxed either. I was anxious that highway driving would be negatively affected since the stock M3 progressive steering is designed to be reassuring at high speed. The car does feel less "stable" at speed, but it's nothing that comes close to ruining the car or something. Just means you have to pay attention when you drive!
    • Slow speed/parking lot maneuvers take slightly more effort, but nothing unreasonable. Haven't noticed a particularly worse turning radius either.
    • Having driven several Porsches w/hydro racks (986, 987, 996), I'd say my car now has parity with that level of feel & detail through the wheel.
    Having lurked on this board (and the old one) for a few years, I've often heard the 4.1 gears described as "how it should have come from the factory". I'd say the very same thing about this mod! It so fundamentally changes the way the car behaves and makes every mile more enjoyable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1807.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	68005
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ridebikes; 11-25-2020, 08:27 AM.
    2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
    ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
    While "yellow tag" and "purple tag" both sounded like improvements, the Z3 "green tag" was unique in that it was linear.
    Thanks for the review, but wanted to point out that all the common racks are linear: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rmation-thread

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Thanks for the review, but wanted to point out that all the common racks are linear: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rmation-thread
      I stand corrected! I made different notes from another forum but this appears to be more up to date (and way better researched information). Thank you.

Comment

Your first picture is an M3 rack. Does look like that last picture is a a Z3 rack with its half stamped steel body.

Comment

I too have this rack. Super quick almost too much but I like it. Agree that the 4.10 gears and this rack make the car super lively but still feels oem.

Comment

Subd

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually just did this very swap. Its amazing. The response, feel and turn-in transformed the car. The steering is perfectly weighted as well. Honestly, if feels better than my ZCP rack. Im going to snatch another one and just store it in my attic while they're still prolific.

Comment

Thanks for your review... What year Z3 did this come out of?
                Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Also, would you mind sharing the part number of the Z3 rack? The 455 rack in the picture is M3, no? Is the 1.9L Z3 part #32131095575?

Comment

Originally posted by specializedbndt View Post
                    I actually just did this very swap. Its amazing. The response, feel and turn-in transformed the car. The steering is perfectly weighted as well. Honestly, if feels better than my ZCP rack. Im going to snatch another one and just store it in my attic while they're still prolific.
                    Couldn't agree more! Glad to hear I'm not crazy in thinking this transforms the car

Thanks for your review... What year Z3 did this come out of?

Also, would you mind sharing the part number of the Z3 rack? The 455 rack in the picture is M3, no? Is the 1.9L Z3 part #32131095575?
                    šŸ‘

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1853
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	69490
                    Attached Files

Comment

I too did this swap earlier this year (got a Z3 rack for $35 from a junkyard). Definitely one of the must-do mods for any E46 M3.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Have you measured it? According to another member on here that did, it's the same rate as the ZCP/ZHP/etc.

Originally posted by lapoune View Post
                        Good to see this thread back. I was the one who measured the Z4MC racks on the old thread, I measured a reman one direct from BMW and one that came factory from a car. Both were 50mm\rev linear. I also measured a variety of z3 racks, 1.9 and 2.5s. Again all 50mm\rev linear. I think it's safe to say that until proof of the contrary 1.9l z3s don't have a quicker ratio (read a couple times that some are actually slower, but I've never seen one myself).

Interestingly I also measured a rack that supposedly came from a prototype Z4MC in germany, but it had a Z4M roadster original part#. It also measured 50mm\rev linear.

Sorry can't remember all the part#s off the top of my head. I'll try to update later with them.
                        That said, it's worth pointing out for people reading this that you can't code the DSC to be happy with faster racks than the ZCP/ZHP/etc-- so a faster rack would result in more DSC intervention, if it is faster. If the Z3 1.9 rack is 50mm/rev, you should code your DSC for the faster rack.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I have the older MK20, so I always assumed I would basically be limited to driving without DSC if I ever go to a shorter rack.

Comment

Would be very interested in your measurements! I measured a couple of them myself and ratio-wise, they were all the same (at 50mm), mine were all gold bodied though 1.9l and 2.5l. I also tested them in an actual Z3 and steering l2l came out at 2.7t, which was consistent with specs\reports, another reason I believe there isn't a faster rack available.

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                              Interesting, Iā€™d swear tag shows ā€˜04?
                              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Working...
                              X