Roof spoilers: Eye sore and they suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof spoilers: Eye sore and they suck

I've been silent about them for a while but man do they look stupid. This is my opinion, of course. However, impractical mods look stupid to me. They create vortices in the wrong place, separate the air from the body, and cause low pressure where it shouldn't be. All our cars have a spoiler or duck bill at a minimum. If you have a roof spoiler, you're losing the benefit almost completely and still causing more drag. They look dumb and cost more money in gas.

Here's a PHD that proves this in Torronto. I found this video and am so thankful I did. I prefer scientific evidence to back my arguments...

This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Reviving this thread as I am contemplating putting the ACS piece on. I am a fan of the look and don’t really care about the negligible $ price difference for gas on a weekend car. Honestly, I think the CSL trunk is one of the worst looking mods for this car and is way too common… to each their own.

Comment

Blasphemy! I can’t look at an e46 without a CSL trunk, they look funny, I only prefer the OEM style though.

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post
        Reviving this thread as I am contemplating putting the ACS piece on. I am a fan of the look and don’t really care about the negligible $ price difference for gas on a weekend car. Honestly, I think the CSL trunk is one of the worst looking mods for this car and is way too common… to each their own.
        Boo this man
        2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post
          I'd like to see the same aero analysis of the standard lip spoiler vs. the CSL duckbill. I wouldn't be surprised if the duckbill is purely an aesthetic appearance thing to help justify the MSRP of the CSL over the base M3.
          Last edited by Albino09; 01-12-2024, 05:47 AM.
          2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

I have both the roof spoiler and CSL trunk. I love the look. But to each their own.

Comment

My understanding is that they started on the 190E Evo 3 homologation car. There was a rule that the rear wing couldn't obstruct rearward visibility. Mercedes wanted a bigger rear wing, so they obstructed the back window at the window, so that the wing wasn't obstructing any visibility. Fixed.

People liked the look, and here here we are.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by jpiazzam3 View Post
                I have both the roof spoiler and CSL trunk. I love the look. But to each their own.
                That spoiler negates any benefits a CSL trunk will give you.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  My understanding is that they started on the 190E Evo 3 homologation car. There was a rule that the rear wing couldn't obstruct rearward visibility. Mercedes wanted a bigger rear wing, so they obstructed the back window at the window, so that the wing wasn't obstructing any visibility. Fixed.

People liked the look, and here here we are.
                  I love that solution for the 190E, classic racing outside-of-the-box response to regulations. I laughed out loud the first time I heard it. The window obstruction isn't really a roof spoiler though, I think there must be another genesis of the roof wing concept.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	286
Size:	581.8 KB
ID:	248687

Shameful that you guys are forgetting your grand daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

Shameful that you guys are forgetting your grand daddy.
                      You are correct and I am ashamed

Comment

This is embarrassing

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

That spoiler negates any benefits a CSL trunk will give you.
                          I wasn’t expecting much downforce from either one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jpiazzam3 View Post
                            I wasn’t expecting much downforce from either one of them.
                            That is a very realistic expectation.

Comment

roof spoilers and vortex generators work when designed to complement a large trunk mounted wing (see EVO 7 and the hawkeye STIs)

its probably safe to say that something like the ACS roof spoiler is a 100% cosmetic mod for our cars

Comment

Working...
                              X