M3 GTR hood venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 GTR hood venting

I remember guazing into the M3 GTR's engine bay at Laguna Seca back in 2001 like a startstruck teenage girl when Chris Hemsworth walks by. 2 things that stood out to me then was the tiny intake trumpets and the gigantic radiator vent plumes that directed air to the iconic hood vents.

I get why the vents work on the race car, zero dispute there. I am curious though, do the GTR style hoods help reduce temps in a street car? Do they reduce coolant temps on track? reduce lift possibly?
    Attached Files

Main thing is to reduce lift from all the air coming in to the radiator.
    2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
    2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
    2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
      Main thing is to reduce lift from all the air coming in to the radiator.
      No cooling advantage (on track specifically)?

I see lots of track focused E46 M3's running the center vent to help remove radiator heat & lift.

Comment

I recall someone on the old forum saying the vents helped a lot with cooling, there’s also a lot of ppl running the aluminum rivet on hood vents. There is no doubt having vents on the hood would extract heat while reducing lift.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

I see lots of track focused E46 M3's running the center vent to help remove radiator heat & lift.
          Do you mean removing the center vent?

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post

Do you mean removing the center vent?
            No I mean the aluminum rivet on vent that sits a few inches behind the roundel center in the hood that have become quite popular over the last few years.

Basically, I'm wondering the the GTR style hood on a non race car (I'll put anything not V8 GTR in this category) would have the same or similar heat removal functionality as the add on hood vents like these: https://shop.redline360.com/products...ides-vents-kit

Comment

For a non supercharged car either will be enough for cooling.

Originally posted by S14 View Post

They will provide cooling. But a non supercharged car, its not really necessary for cooling. Unless you're endurance racing or something.
              2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
              2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
              2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

the race louvers vents are the only ones i'd use on my car. they've been wind tunnel tested to prove their cooling and aero improvements. plus they were super responsive over facebook.

Wind tunnel tested, CFD analysed, hybrid hood extractors and fender vents. Maximum Cooling, maximum front downforce and cooler engine compartments. Available in Our RS Street Spec, RT Track Spec and RX Extreme Spec.
                2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Working...
                X