Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear axle-shaft removal

Hi mates,

Today I've jacked the car up to inspect the exhaust because it had some small vibrations caused by the heat shield. Unfortunately, I saw another problem. The left outer cv joint had start leaking from the housings. As far as I remember, the turnermotorsport had a rebuilt kit but it's not offered anymore. So my options are to bring the shaft to a local company in Bulgaria for rebuild or to buy new ones. What's your experience with rebuilding them and what's the best option for new ones (OEM or there are better options)? Is there any good DIYs for the removal/installation process of the driveshafts? As far as I saw, I have to remove the spring and to lower the ARB and the exhaust? How hard is to remove the driveshaft from the wheel bearing flange and what tool would you recommend me?

Thanks

Jet Black E46 M3
    ex - Broom Yellow Fiat Coupe 400++ hp 1.8 -> 2.0 16VT 👿
    R.I.P. Speed Red Fiat Coupe 2.0 16VT 👻

I had one axle that came right out with a small hammer and a punch. The other one took a large chisel and 20 lb hammer. Removing the exhaust is not necessary if I remember correctly. You can pick up used ones on eBay for relatively little or maybe find a shop local to you that can replace the boot for a reasonable amount. I went with geforce axles because they need to handle a lot more torque in my car.
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
      or maybe find a shop local to you that can replace the boot for a reasonable amount.
      It isn't the boot torn but rather the stamp sheet metal cover which the boot clamped on that came off the CV bearing housing. The thin metal cover was interference fitted and so the OP could disasemble, clean and bend the cover lip to make it fit tight on the bearing housing. No need to rebuild the CV joint as the gap is small and some grease flew out under high centripetal force, but not enough for dust and sand to get in get. So just add grease and fix the cover.

Comment

Ah, I didn’t look closely at the picture and thought he said it was the boot.
        Last edited by Mspir3d; 12-01-2020, 03:57 AM.
        IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Thanks! Yes, the leak is not from the boot but from the housing. Actually, the boot is in decent shape. In the next few weeks I'll lift the car to remove the driveshaft and I'll bring it to some local company that will be able to fix the cover. Just hope that it will not be stuck in the hub.
          Jet Black E46 M3
          ex - Broom Yellow Fiat Coupe 400++ hp 1.8 -> 2.0 16VT 👿
          R.I.P. Speed Red Fiat Coupe 2.0 16VT 👻

Comment

Working...
          X