Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REIN vs Original BMW

Just an FYI:
    For years, I've gone back and forth over using Original BMW/Land Rover or REIN hoses, and all but two times (one with my X5 and one with my L322) I've always used BMW/Land Rover hoses. This weekend made up my mind. One of my cars is a 2005 L322 (BMW M62), and last year when I was replacing the VANOS, I decided to just replace all of the coolant and heater hoses, as they were just over 5 years old and this time I used REIN on the Coolant (coolant are very easy to replace on this truck), and Land Rover on the Heater (a bit more difficult). All previous times I used all Land Rover (BMW logo's on some of the hoses). So I was cking the engine over last week, and noticed some cracks on one of the hoses (Waterpump-Transcooler Thermostat) that I replaced 14 months ago, so the guy that I always used for parts was nice enough to cover the hose even though it was out of the 1 year warranty. While replacing the hose (REIN) I noticed the Top Rad hose (another REIN hose) dripping coolant. I pulled the hose off, and after removing/lubricating/installing the O-ring several times, I determined it was the O-ring not sealing correctly due to it being flat on one side. For some reason, I kept the 5 year old (Land Rover/BMW Lower Rad hose (same diameter as Top hose) so I pulled the O ring out of this 5 year old Land Rover/BMW hose, and compared it to the 14 month old REIN hose. The REIN O-RING was already flat on one side, as well as being visually smaller in diameter. The 5 year old Land Rover/BMW O-Ring was nice and round, more pliable, as well as visually thicker, so I put the 5 year old Land Rover/BMW O-ring in the REIN hose and no more leaks. Needless to say I am ordering a Genuine Land Rover (BMW) Hose kit this week to replace all the REIN hoses. My only other experience with REIN was on the X5 years ago, another Top Radiator REIN hose dripping.

No more REIN or any aftermarket Coolant/Heater hoses for me....IMHO, just not worth the minimal cost savings....
    Last edited by Flat-Six; 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM.

I don't think Rein has been holding up from what I've heard from others. I have some fairly new Rein hoses so maybe I'll look into getting that high oring kit being sold here when they start leaking. Thanks for the warning.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
    X