2005 M3 Vanos Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 M3 Vanos Refresh

2005 M3 Vanos Refresh...NAM3 Forum...1st post. I just completed the Vanos rebuild and pump disk update from Beisan. My car has rather low mileage yet I had began to notice power surges around 2,800 rpm while in 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. When the engine was cold, such issue was more pronounced and reduced slightly upon heating...a disturbing behavior none the less. I also had a spit and sputter on cold starting. Using the excellent guide from Raj I followed everything precisely and the outcome has been great. The components from Beisan are of premium quality and their shipment was quick. The surging is now gone as it is the cold start sputter. The car, to my surprise, has better throttle response. So if you have the same thing going on, refresh the Vanos and get back what performance was lost.

You should remove and loctite the 12 bolts holding the cams spline sleeves -- the stock bolts might come loose causing big damages.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWGeek View Post
      2005 M3 Vanos Refresh...NAM3 Forum...1st post. I just completed the Vanos rebuild and pump disk update from Beisan. My car has rather low mileage yet I had began to notice power surges around 2,800 rpm while in 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. When the engine was cold, such issue was more pronounced and reduced slightly upon heating...a disturbing behavior none the less. I also had a spit and sputter on cold starting. Using the excellent guide from Raj I followed everything precisely and the outcome has been great. The components from Beisan are of premium quality and their shipment was quick. The surging is now gone as it is the cold start sputter. The car, to my surprise, has better throttle response. So if you have the same thing going on, refresh the Vanos and get back what performance was lost.
      Nice job, I have all the parts from Beisan and the Lang bolts as well, I am quite nervous to be honest, valve adj. time as well.
      Great to see your work did something to make the vehicle run better as well as the preventative measure.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Cubieman...just make sure you all the tools, shop towels and cleaning and take your time. Honestly the estimate I’ve seen of 7 hours to do the vanos job seems like a 2 person estimate. The valve adjustment can indeed make a difference too if you have a big variance among the valve spacers. So doing all this work on the valves and vanos will go a long way.

Comment

I just went through the whole vanos overhaul with Beisan components. My engine is much quieter and the car drives a lot better after the overhaul and valve adjustment. I was getting getting an intermittent check engine light related to the vanos solenoid. Ended up also having a broken exhaust cam tab and broken chain rail guide.
          '05 ///M3 Sparkling Graphite/Black 6MT
          RAC Monolite RG4 I Bilstein B12 I Dixis Spirit I Beisan

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
            You should remove and loctite the 12 bolts holding the cams spline sleeves -- the stock bolts might come loose causing big damages.
            That was a part of the Beisan process I believe.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by TamuM3 View Post
              I just went through the whole vanos overhaul with Beisan components. My engine is much quieter and the car drives a lot better after the overhaul and valve adjustment. I was getting getting an intermittent check engine light related to the vanos solenoid. Ended up also having a broken exhaust cam tab and broken chain rail guide.
              How many miles on the car?
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

Working...
              X