Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo and Mileage counter dead after backup camera install

Here is a strange one.

I installed a back up camera on Friday. Had the battery disconnected the entire time. After the install the head unit and all the other gauges worked EXCEPT my speedometer and Mileage counter. The gas guage would also randomly increase and decrease by 1/4 tank cyclically.

I checked the 3 fuses for the Instrument cluster and cleared codes with PA Soft and INPA then reset the adaptations for the ecu. I also ran an instrument cluster test with INPA, I had full sweep with all the lights on all of the gauges.

No joy. There.

Just wondering what else needs to be checked? I’m going to try checking and clearing codes in the chassis modules today after work and resetting the adaptations there as well if I find any. I’ll also try pulling the rear wheels to check the speed sensors, I can’t imagine they just *poof* went bad though.

The car is an 11/2002 M3. I did a conversion to 6speed and coded the car myself. Everything was working before the battery was disconnected for the back up camera install. The car still runs and drives fine, my main concern is the ecu and instrument cluster not having the same milage and spitting out a fault that is more difficult to fix later.

-Steve
    -‘83 911
    -‘98 M3
    -‘03 M3
    -‘05 911

Sounds like the instrument cluster may be at fault. People have reported them dieing just from low power, could have also damaged it when coding, or it's not coded correctly

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

It would be a shame it if just died. The coding was fine, I completed the swap and coding back in February and it’s been fine until now.

Ugh.... I’ll update this thread if I figure anything out. Thanks all.

-Steve
      -‘83 911
      -‘98 M3
      -‘03 M3
      -‘05 911

Comment

As a close out and follow up to this:

I tapped into one of the many plugs in the trunk left empty by the removal of the stock Nav system. I choose one of these plugs because it was a switched 12v power source. My thought is that it was the speed signal for the Nav unit and it cut the CAN voltage to the Speedo, for whatever reason. Once that was removed, the Speedo came back.

For future trouble shooters: To trouble shoot this I used INPA to read the wheel speed from each wheel sensor, tested the cluster, and reset the Instrument cluster. I used PAsoft as well to check the cluster and chassis milage to make sure they roughly matched after everything was said and done. The cluster reset itself to the milage it was supposed to be.
        -‘83 911
        -‘98 M3
        -‘03 M3
        -‘05 911

Comment

Working...
        X