VANOS Splined Shaft Bearing Ring Scoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VANOS Splined Shaft Bearing Ring Scoring

Hello! Not super active on the forums but I thought I'd share my current VANOS rebuild and Beisan experience, specifically the scoring I saw while doing the rattle kit.

While I was taking apart the splined shafts to inspect their condition, I noticed the rings looked pretty scored and indented. I reached out to Raj at Beisan Systems about this and he mentioned the stock rings are made of very soft steel which causes them to wear pretty substantially creating those indentations. He said the rings in his rattle repair kit are made from hardened, bearing steel and ground to bearing standards, so they won't wear out. Pretty interesting to see how bad these things got. Car has ~128k miles, so not super high. I've included some pictures of my rings as well as the Beisan ones for comparison. Happy VANOS fixing and shout out to Raj for the insight as well as the great products he makes!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by nagholdoian; 12-08-2020, 06:35 PM.

Cool, save them in case you get married!
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I assume the scored rings with groove inside and not outside the rings, caused by the disks rubbing on the ring. This could mean the cam is not centered to the VANOS piston, IOW the Vanos was not aligned to the head properly.

with the Vanos aligned, the 2 shafts of the spline bearing should be concentric and minimum rubbing on the inside of the rings. The main purpose of the ring is a spacer for the threaded cap.

Comment

Working...
      X