Dinan High Flow Throttle Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinan High Flow Throttle Body

I haven't ever read much about this upgrade, specific to Dinan or otherwise. Is that because it's a (very) low $-to-hp upgrade? Does anyone have experience with an upgrade like this? The fact that it's Dinan seems like a good thing! The price not as much...
    2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
    ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Pretty much. Cost vs gain is not worth it for most. Popular upragde but for people who have upgraded everything else and looking for that little bit extra power and added response. Cylinder head port and polish will give a bigger gain for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's only $1250 after core return, so that's not tooooo bad as far as S54 mods go. But yeah, from what I've heard, your money's much better spent on a CSL airbox and SSV1s if you don't already have those.

Comment

the stock throttles are not exactly small I've seen people make stock s54 power with 40mm throttles on a 6 cylinder so unless your stroked, cams, airbox, headers, ported head, higher CR you've got lower hanging fruit to pick

based on the example picture I'd wonder if they streamlined the shafts as if not it'd be fairly counter productive to making the bore bigger, its kind of an important deal on TB for "high flow".
        Last edited by digger; 12-10-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          the stock throttles are not exactly small I've seen people make stock s54 power with 40mm throttles on a 6 cylinder so unless your stroked, cams, airbox, headers, ported head, higher CR you've got lower hanging fruit to pick

based on the example picture I'd wonder if they streamlined the shafts as if not it'd be fairly counter productive to making the bore bigger, its kind of an important deal on TB for "high flow".
          I don't believe that the Dinan HFTB shafts are profiled.

Comment

even Dinan claimed a gain of only 6hp, and that was only when combined with their tune.

Steve Dinan has publicly admitted that there wasn't much to be legally gained from the S54

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

I don't believe that the Dinan HFTB shafts are profiled.
              As an FYI a 50mm bore with 8mm spindle shaft profiled to 5mm (1.5mm per side) has the same area as a 52mm bore with 8mm spindle shaft unprofiled. The discharge coefficient will be slightly different but seems like a half baked job

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                even Dinan claimed a gain of only 6hp, and that was only when combined with their tune.

Steve Dinan has publicly admitted that there wasn't much to be legally gained from the S54
                Yeah, well, I think we've proved that wrong. I had the opportunity to speak w/him in person once (about 6 yrs. ago) and cornered him about this very same subject. When I told him that my car and a couple of others were putting down 350+ HP to the wheels w/FBO/cams/tune...he scoffed and said "impossible"-lol.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

As an FYI a 50mm bore with 8mm spindle shaft profiled to 5mm (1.5mm per side) has the same area as a 52mm bore with 8mm spindle shaft unprofiled. The discharge coefficient will be slightly different but seems like a half baked job
                  Yep, some additional relatively easy flow to be had w/a little more work.

Comment

I was on the fence about the same mod. A lot of people told me its basically useless given the cost. I did some research and found these threads to be helpful.

High Flow Throttle Bodies for S54 MZ3 (bimmerforums.com)

New Product: high flow shaftless throttle bodies | The M3cutters

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, I believe most of the improvements come from having installed a clean throttle body. I think you can achieve somewhat the same results by using some CRC throttle body cleaner and spending a little time with your current throttle bodies. As far as $1k+ for a maximum gain of 5hp isn't acceptable to me. You can watch this vid on how to clean your current throttle bodies How to Clean Your Throttle Bodies & Idle Control Valve (ICV) - Rough Idle Fix! - YouTube

You can get a Mishimoto electric fan and gain about that as per VACs website for $335

Mishimoto BMW E46 M3 Performance Aluminum Fan Shroud Kit (vacmotorsports.com)
                    Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 12-10-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Dinan is overpriced for the name. He got in with BMW and just overcharged for everything. Once he made his money, he sold the company. Dinan is in the business of charging Lamborghini prices for BMWs.
                      Think of all the higher displacement engines that use so much less area to squeeze that air through. There are velocity stacks right before the thottle bodies so it's already moving quickly. The ITBs are a strength and I find it hard to believe our engine can outbreath them.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Yeah, well, I think we've proved that wrong.

a couple of others were putting down 350+ HP to the wheels w/FBO/cams/tune

not 50 state legally, which was Dinan's business model and key to his working relationship with BMW

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

not 50 state legally, which was Dinan's business model and key to his working relationship with BMW
                          Ahh, well, you didn’t say 50 state legal initially. Think mine would pass 49 state emissions though. I was really speaking more to him poo-pooing a privately owned (non-race oriented) S54 M3 making 350+ HP period—emissions legal or not.

Comment

Dinan is way over rated on the engine side of things, and he has a very high opinion of himself and his abilities. unfortunately it does not come forth in the end product and claims are rarely realised. A lot of big name tuning places are like that.

Comment

Ahh, well, you didn’t say 50 state legal initially. Think mine would pass 49 state emissions though. I was really speaking more to him poo-pooing a privately owned (non-race oriented) S54 M3 making 350+ HP period—emissions legal or not.

i wouldn't take his reaction too personally, there was most likely some projection on his end as he knew that the money you invested into your engine wasn't money in his pocket. the shift from the typical bmw owner wanting no fuss bmw warranted mods to a more tuner style approach probably contributed to Dinan selling his business and transitioning to a service model.

seems like Dinan gets a lot of flack on the forums just because people don't want what their products offer

Comment

Working...
                              X