Is ZCP Brake Upgrade Worth it? + Brake Bias Inquiries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ZCP Brake Upgrade Worth it? + Brake Bias Inquiries

By chance I snagged a set of almost new OEM Comp Front Rotors (retail $450+) on Offerup for $150 because the seller didn't know they were competition spec. Originally was just going to flip them, but after discovering ECS sells a front caliper bracket adapter for $150 I'm no longer sure what to do. I could upgrade the fronts for $300 said and done, but I had a few questions:

1. Would installing only front ZCP rotors result in worse braking performance due to brake bias changes?

My car is a 2002 with DSC3 and the stock brake bias is listed at 1.27:1 (56%F, 44%R). Switching to ZCP fronts and keeping OEM rears on a DSC3 would put me at 1.37:1 (57.8%F, 42.2%R). This brings me right in line with the brake bias on ZCP equipped cars with MK60 which is listed as 1.38:1 (58%F, 42%R), which I'm assuming is what I should be aiming for. If I were to also acquire ZCP rear calipers, this would put me at 1.14:1 (53.3%F, 46.7%R), which seems to throw me quite far off from both my original brake bias, and the brake bias on ZCP cars and is why I'm assuming I don't need the rears.

2. Additionally, does this upgrade make a noticeable difference over stock or is it not really worthwhile?

Chart referenced: https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...-chart-e46-m3/

Oddly enough, I'm not sure why this chart shoes different percentages, but maybe things have been recalculated since the time when the original chart was created? https://thebuildjournal.com/shop/bmw...it-kit-e46-m3/

What are you using the car for?
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
      What are you using the car for?
      Street car for now, until I finish what needs fixing up, and save up for a daily. Then it will become a weekend/track car.

Comment

I recently purchased the ECS bracket used for $90/pair & got rotors on eeuroparts (the Zimmermann ones) for $205 front/each & $153 rear/each....looks like the price went up a bit on the rears though....can't help with brake bias, but if you're looking for cheaper eeuroparts has both OEM & Zimmermann options for a little cheaper.

Comment

ironically enough OEM rotors are $197 front & $158 rears....so cheaper than zimmermann's

Comment

You would want the rear just so they match. Depending on your style wheels, people who have sexy aluminum hat perforated rotors on front and stock on rear looks silly.
            Not sure if you’re aware the rear calipers on ZCP have a larger piston. So it gets coded for that to factor in bias.
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 05-20-2021, 09:59 AM.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Interesting, I am in the process (middle) of the same "upgrade". Just installed the FRT 345mm floating rotors and brackets, purchased a used set of rear ZCP calipers (larger pistons) and will be installing those with the appropriate rotors. Not looking at BIAS numbers, I'll just go by feel at track. Been tracking with stock brakes, next I'll run the same track (close and a lot of events) with just the front upgrade, then add the rear upgrade and just compare the feel. If it feels fine, and I like the braking, I'll keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                You would want the rear just so they match. Depending on your style wheels, people who have sexy aluminum hat perforated rotors on from and stock on rear looks silly.
                Not sure if you’re aware the rear calipers on ZCP have a larger piston. So it gets coded for that to factor in bias.
                I feel that it's quite common to do only a big brake kit up front, thus I wouldn't be bothered by pretty rotors up front and blanks in the rear.

I am aware of the bigger piston shifting the brake bias, but I believe the chart I'm referencing takes that into account when calculating the biases afaik. Thus, staying with non-zcp rears and 345mm fronts actually gives me the same brake bias as a ZCP car due to the fact I have the older DSC3 braking system. However I could definitely be misguided in my thinking

Comment

not worth it.

Weight savings of the 2pc rotors is good, but the weak point in the stock system is the calipers. Adding more front bias is not what these cars need anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
                    Interesting, I am in the process (middle) of the same "upgrade". Just installed the FRT 345mm floating rotors and brackets, purchased a used set of rear ZCP calipers (larger pistons) and will be installing those with the appropriate rotors. Not looking at BIAS numbers, I'll just go by feel at track. Been tracking with stock brakes, next I'll run the same track (close and a lot of events) with just the front upgrade, then add the rear upgrade and just compare the feel. If it feels fine, and I like the braking, I'll keep it.
                    This is a good data point, definitely update this thread with your findings.

Comment

To avoid thread clutter I thought I would just re-use this thread. I am also trying to upgrade my non-ZCP brake setup to ZCP. My questions are:
                      1. Are the ECS brackets reliable and work 100% like front ZCP calipers?
                      2. Or should I just look for a used set of ZCP front and rear calipers and get OEM rotors?

I would like to upgrade to both front and rear brakes to drilled floating rotors. Thanks in advance.
                      -Singh
                      2004 e46 ///3 | Laguna Seca Blue | Black Leather | 6MT | Coupe | OEM+​
                      BBS RC | Supersprint | Ground Control | Besian | Euro
                      ​

Comment

Originally posted by Singh View Post
                        To avoid thread clutter I thought I would just re-use this thread. I am also trying to upgrade my non-ZCP brake setup to ZCP. My questions are:
                        1. Are the ECS brackets reliable and work 100% like front ZCP calipers?
                        2. Or should I just look for a used set of ZCP front and rear calipers and get OEM rotors?

I would like to upgrade to both front and rear brakes to drilled floating rotors. Thanks in advance.
                        I have the front ECS brackets and have no complaints. Fit perfectly with no issues, really solid and well built.

Comment

Originally posted by Dino View Post

I have the front ECS brackets and have no complaints. Fit perfectly with no issues, really solid and well built.
                          Great. Thanks for chiming in πŸ‘πŸ½

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Singh
                          2004 e46 ///3 | Laguna Seca Blue | Black Leather | 6MT | Coupe | OEM+​
                          BBS RC | Supersprint | Ground Control | Besian | Euro
                          ​

Comment

Working...
                          X