Lemforder Front LCA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
    When replacing both front wishbones last year, I was unable to obtain the BMW item for one side, so I bought a lemforder . I noticed that the balljoints on a new lemforder FLCA were moveable by hand, whereas the ones on a new BMW wishbone were not.
    Probably just needed to be cracked, then they'd move freely.

Maybe some grease is less viscous leading to a stiffer (when cold) action? Maybe it's sat longer.

Ball joints been around forever.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post
      Right, this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out, Are they in fact being produced/sold outside of Germany, and are they of the same quality? Grinding off the BMW logo just sounds shady, and makes me wonder if the ball joints are different? Where did you purchase them from?
      The manufacturers grind the logo off because they can't sell BMW part number/branded part under their label, this is 100% normal. I stated that to show that has been consistent over the years.

Like I said this is the age old debate that I always ask, just because a manufacturer makes the BMW part, does that automatically mean the parts they sell under their name are the exact same quality?
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Rockauto baby! For as little miles as i put on this car, ill probably be dead before they go bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Grinding off the bmw logo is very normal
          Originally posted by George Hill View Post

The manufacturers grind the logo off because they can't sell BMW part number/branded part under their label, this is 100% normal. I stated that to show that has been consistent over the years.

Like I said this is the age old debate that I always ask, just because a manufacturer makes the BMW part, does that automatically mean the parts they sell under their name are the exact same quality?
          Ya, think I'd forgotten that this was common practice w/manufacturers/vendors-oops. I'm still curious though if anyone knows definitively if they are indeed produced in China as well, and if they're using the same ball joints or not?

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Just adding a little perspective here, take with however many grains of salt you wish.

I can speak directly to the manufacturing practices of OE lighting product as opposed to suspension, but it generally translates. For my job, I source several million dollars worth of lamps from Marelli/AL, Hella, Valeo, ZKW and ULO every year. This includes lamps for current vehicle models being produced now. I have visited AL and Hella manufacturing facilities in Europe and have been on the factory floors. The manufacturing process between a scheduled OE-branded production run for an automaker and an IAM (Independent After Market) manufacturer-branded run is identical with the exception of the removal of any proprietary logos on the part, and the box the part is packaged in. Same tooling, same assembly line, same raw materials, same workforce.

If, say, BMW orders a certain number of 5-series headlamps for OES/dealer stock from AL, then AL will typically tack a certain number of lamps on the end of the run to be built for sale in their own Marelli packaging because the only thing they have to change is one injection mold for an inner bezel to make the "BMW ADAPTIVE LED" logo simply say "ADAPTIVE LED". Shared production saves on labor costs. It's also a BIG red flag to customs if anything with proprietary branding is imported in anything other than Genuine packaging. Have seen that happen once a few years ago when an IAM run from one of the suppliers let a few parts get through without switching the tool out.

Would obviously be a little different on parts for models no longer in production because there will be a larger percentage of IAM/self-branded product than Genuine/OE branded product, but the manufactuting process remains the same.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya, think I'd forgotten that this was common practice w/manufacturers/vendors-oops. I'm still curious though if anyone knows definitively if they are indeed produced in China as well, and if they're using the same ball joints or not?
              Post #8 should address the China concern, no?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Post #8 should address the China concern, no?
                I saw that, but to my original post/point, I'm still wondering if some are being produced in China or not? I will def seek out a vendor (when it comes time to order) that carries the ones produced in Germany.

Comment

I saw that, but to my original post/point, I'm still wondering if some are being produced in China or not? I will def seek out a vendor (when it comes time to order) that carries the ones produced in Germany.
                  100%. I'd return them if I received a set made in China.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yeah I just looked at a set I have and it’s Germany. I haven’t seen Lemforder BMW control arms from China.

Although I got a Mercedes replacement balljoint here and that one says Malaysia (*not China)

For the M3 control arms and bushings I doubt Lemforder also do any in a China factory. Their Lemforder plant in Germany probably handles all that’s needed to be made.

Attached Files
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

This is on the bushing on the lemforder control arms I got.
                      2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                      2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                      2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
                        1st pic : The boot was definitely made in Germany

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                          Yeah I just looked at a set I have and it’s Germany. I haven’t seen Lemforder BMW control arms from China.

Although I got a Mercedes replacement balljoint here and that one says Malaysia (*not China)

For the M3 control arms and bushings I doubt Lemforder also do any in a China factory. Their Lemforder plant in Germany probably handles all that’s needed to be made.

Good to know!

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
                          Originally posted by FBloggs View Post

1st pic : The boot was definitely made in Germany
                          Ha, beat me to it!

Comment

Yep my CAs have the same markings and BMW markings removed.
                            And GERMANY on the inner bushing.

Attached Files
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

And for whats it’s worth their CAB’s box says Made In Germany. Has BMW markings scratched off.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	39AB9922-AA2A-42E0-86A9-508FDEF27B66.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	75060 Click image for larger version

Name:	334091E6-90FF-46D2-8D96-1C0B5365EC62.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	75062
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	791DC5F3-93B1-4680-AE9C-5A3611408D3C.jpeg
Views:	366
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	75063
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X