Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 compared to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    If you only have one set of wheels and plan to drive on street and on track, the PS4s are the ticket.
    Well! Crap, looks like I'm getting the expensive tires. I was always kind of leaning this way, but I was hoping there was a brand for around $600 bucks that would be just as good. I guess you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Silbergrau metallic View Post

Well! Crap, looks like I'm getting the expensive tires. I was always kind of leaning this way, but I was hoping there was a brand for around $600 bucks that would be just as good. I guess you get what you pay for.
      I know you asked for just those 2 tires to be compared, but how do you use or plan to use your car? Ps4s is a good all-arounder for 99.9 street driving (if you will take it to the track maybe once a year to hang out). If you plan to move more toward track territory (several times a year or more), and you can run decent speeds around tracks, the tires get overworked really easily, they don't provide great precision feedback because the sidewalls are like jelly. No experience with 500.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        I know you asked for just those 2 tires to be compared, but how do you use or plan to use your car? Ps4s is a good all-arounder for 99.9 street driving (if you will take it to the track maybe once a year to hang out). If you plan to move more toward track territory (several times a year or more), and you can run decent speeds around tracks, the tires get overworked really easily, they don't provide great precision feedback because the sidewalls are like jelly. No experience with 500.

Do you have a suggestion, because I am planning on doing some track events. Is there a great track tire that's also comfortable and quiet on the streets. I usually don't do any driving when it's wet, so I'm not super concerned with wet grip and I'm not super worried about how fast it wears, but I'd kind of like the best of both worlds for ultimate grip. Also, I'm trying to stay with the 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 tire sizes, since they fill up my Wheel wells nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Silbergrau metallic View Post

Do you have a suggestion, because I am planning on doing some track events. Is there a great track tire that's also comfortable and quiet on the streets. I usually don't do any driving when it's wet, so I'm not super concerned with wet grip and I'm not super worried about how fast it wears, but I'd kind of like the best of both worlds for ultimate grip. Also, I'm trying to stay with the 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 tire sizes, since they fill up my Wheel wells nicely.
          This gets into a whole slew of preferences for noise tolerance, comfort, etc etc.

I can tell you that I've tried to keep it as dual duty as possible with a single part that can satisfy both street and track - Ohlins with flat ride, running pfc08 pads all year round, SS exhaust, full interior so that I can lug the baby around in the back seat, 1 set of wheels, etc. Tires were a big question mark but I decided to try ps4s. They were really impressive in the canyons, and the first track day I did on them in cooler spring weather. Their outer block is softer stickier compound so it grips. Once you start pushing them at better avg lap times they get super greasy and heat cycle out within a lap or two. I also didn't like the soft sidewalls, you can feel them flexing and bouncing. From a comfort/noise level I've been moving more in the direction of - I don't need a radio, my exhaust and diff are loud, so road noise doesn't bother me that much. I've been delving into 200tw (but not something that wears super fast and doesn't handle heat like re71r). I am waiting on rs4 to come back online in early spring.

I don't know if they would satisfy what you are after, but my car, while staying dual duty has been moving a bit more toward the track direction, but not setting record lap times, while still being civil and daily drivable with family/baby.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Yeah for that use case and your requirements I'd recommend a set of RS4s. They'll be much better with wear and won't get greasy as quickly as the Michelins on track. It's a 200tw tire so it'll obviously wear a bit quicker on the street but you should still be able to get decent mileage from them.

Wet grip is for sure compromised but you'd have to be in pretty extreme situations to notice. For example I was caught in a torrential downpour where my Conti ExtremeContact Sport wouldn't even break a sweat, but there were a few sketchy moments with the RS4s. You may notice a bit more tire noise - granted I didn't notice any in my car (17" with a decent sidewall) but there was a very obvious hum with my friend's MK7 GTI (18" with a thinner sidewall).

Comment

Personally, I'd rather have the hankook RS4 over both of these options.. Their grip is great, and never had an issue in the rain. I did 8k miles and 5 hpde events on my set and they still have 50% life left! They grip like they did when they were new..
              Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Working...
              X