Installed timing chain tensioner w/o oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed timing chain tensioner w/o oil

I took out the timing chain tensioner so I could remove the exhaust sprocket from the timing chain.
    When I removed the tensioner curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the "piston" out and a decent amount of oil drained out as I had the tensioner held sideways.
    I reinstalled it (using my only one and only new crush washer) and now I am wondering if it needs to be removed and filled with the oil that I emptied out of it to prevent damage upon startup.

I didn't see that there was any type of spring inside of it, just seemed purely hydraulic.

Should I be removing this and putting motor oil in it or am I overthinking this? It didn't empty it ALL out, but still makes me wonder if during initial startup this may cause a problem.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 6.16.47 PM.png
Views:	535
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	75529

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 6.16.47 PM.png
Views:	535
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	75529
      Very helpful, thank you.
      I would say I emptied the vast majority of oil from the tensioner but did not compress it 2x like denoted above. I guess I'll have to wait for a new crush washer and do this correctly.
      And just for peace of mind, there is no spring in this assembly, only oil, correct?
      I took it apart and just want to be sure I didn't drop a spring out of it and somehow not see it drop to the floor.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Very helpful, thank you.
        I would say I emptied the vast majority of oil from the tensioner but did not compress it 2x like denoted above. I guess I'll have to wait for a new crush washer and do this correctly.
        And just for peace of mind, there is no spring in this assembly, only oil, correct?
        I took it apart and just want to be sure I didn't drop a spring out of it and somehow not see it drop to the floor.
        Pretty sure it has a spring (document even says "Caution, strong spring force"). I'd double check.

Comment

It must have spring inside in order for the piston to expand after collapsed by the chain; the cycles repeated as needed, automatically as engine idling until it filled with oil.

Dont need to remove and compress the oil out 2x; you had drain the dirty oil already. It’s not crucial to do this step. You’re sure the spring didn’t fall out?
          Run engine at idle and if the chain slack noise doesn’t go away after a short time then time to remove and look for the spring.

Comment

Pulled it out...there is a spring, just not visible. The spring is inside the section my finger is pointing to.
            Meh, now I need a new crush washer, but peace of mind is worth the few days of setback waiting for a new crush washer.

Name:	20201226_211619.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	75541 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201226_211638.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	75542

Instagram

Comment

I reused the AL washer and it sealed fine. Make sure the sealing surfaces are clean. If copper then heat it to red hot then drop in water, then it’s as new.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Very helpful, thank you.
                Not sure. Beisan instructions just said to reinstall it without releasing the oil. And the tightening torque is unclear

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 7.29.23 PM.png
Views:	528
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	75547

Comment

Well I did the 2x compression and a bit more oil came out, it looks as if introducing new oil into the cylinder would be difficult to say the least. I hope it fills up quickly upon startup..hmm.

Instagram

Comment

There is a spring in the thinner cylinder which usually comes out all as one.

Torque is about 50 Nm, 37 lbs ft.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I took out the timing chain tensioner so I could remove the exhaust sprocket from the timing chain. When I removed the tensioner curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the "piston" out and a decent amount of oil drained out as I had the tensioner held sideways. I reinstalled it (using my only one and only new crush

​​​​​​Post #8, says m26x1.5

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...sioner-w-o-oil

​​​​​​Post #8, says m26x1.5
                        I noticed that too; can you measure the male threads diameter?

Comment

I will when I get a chance.

Comment

"...but peace of mind is worth the few days of setback waiting for a new crush washer."

Truer words have never been spoken....
                            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

TIS instructed to empty the oil to avoid breaking chain guides if the tensioner somehow shucked in more oil and caused the plunger extending too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X