Swap power steering fluid to CHF 11s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap power steering fluid to CHF 11s

I'm going to do a power steering flush with a new reservoir and hoses. If I'm flushing the system anyway, I was thinking about swapping from ATF to CHF 11s. The info on this is little tougher to find with the old forum down, but I think Obioban did this. I'm pretty sure there is no compatibility issues with the system in our cars from my research, but if anyone with any info that might be relevant would chime in (Obioban?), that would be great.

I did do this. I don't recommend it. The CHF-11S seem to boil much more easily as my first track event it boiled over, out of the power steering reservoir. In retrospect, I probably should have known-- boiling power steering fluid is a normal issue on the e9X M3 (which uses CHF-11S stock).

Swapping over was a mistake. A nice synthetic ATF (e.g. M1) works great and is problem free.

If you do do it, know that it isn't compatible with the stock fluid-- so you need to drain all components of the system and then do a couple flushes with CHF-11S to get all ATF out of the system.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Perfect! Thanks for the quick response. That settles that; I’ll stick with ATF.

Comment

Originally posted by ChipperM3 View Post
        Perfect! Thanks for the quick response. That settles that; I’ll stick with ATF.
        I run Mobil-1 ATF in the race car power steering, and (knock on wood) I've no issues.

Feff
        MVP Track Time

Comment

That said, if you are not setting lap records at the track, you will be fine with CHF - 11S. I swapped over when I did a full refresh of rack/hoses/reservoir and have had no issues.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X