Catastrophic oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seattleswimboy View Post
    Ugh, what a nightmare! I'll do a boroscope inspection and see how they are looking. Also if I can get enough oil out of the pan ill check for metal flakes and send it off to Blackstone for analysis.
    I'm not sure why you would need an analysis at this point. Focus on the engine. It is a nightmare initially but you get to learn the inner workings of an S54. I understand the feeling. My piston exploded into a thousand pieces. Maybe take a few days or a couple of weeks to just get over the emotions of it all.

A good condition engine can run $5000 top end. Add some maintenance in there and it's maybe $6000-7000. If a shop did this, you'd be looking at $15000-20000 easily. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, you just gotta get there. If the engine didn't lock up, that's a good thing.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Best of luck on this. Really sucks to hear. S54's can be had relatively cheap compared to a rebuild from what I've seen...weigh out your options and see what's best for you.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

As mentioned before, fix the leak, put oil in it, see how it runs. Put the borescope down it, do compression/leakdown if everything checks out do bearings. But I would be prepared and budget for a complete swap.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
          Best of luck on this. Really sucks to hear. S54's can be had relatively cheap compared to a rebuild from what I've seen...weigh out your options and see what's best for you.
          Thanks for the well wishes. Yeah if it looks like a full rebuild is needed, I will start shopping for a used motor. Though the thought of building an NA monster is tempting.....

Comment

Found the oil leak. Its from the vanos unit in the front. Here is a link to a picture. Any ideas what would cause oil to leak from here?

Comment

If not then oil pipe has a crack, then the Vanos piston cap was not bolted tight or the solenoid plate was loose.

Did someone work on Vanos recently?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                If not then oil pipe has a crack, then the Vanos piston cap was not bolted tight or the solenoid plate was loose.

Did someone work on Vanos recently?
                It was rebuilt in 2014 with beisan rebuild kit. Havnt had any issues till now. Defiantly not coming from the oil pipe. Its the exhaust side piston cover. Maybe the seals blew?

Comment

It was rebuilt in 2014 with beisan rebuild kit. Havnt had any issues till now. Defiantly not coming from the oil pipe. Its the exhaust side piston cover. Maybe the seals blew?
                  Piston cap is easy enough to remove. I would open it up and take a look.

Comment

I doubt the O-ring blew but it could have pinched previously during installation. Fill the oil up and run engine to see where the oil coming out. What do you have to lose?

Comment

I got the results back from Blackstone. Looks like the bearings took some wear but does not look to bad....

Comment

I got the results back from Blackstone. Looks like the bearings took some wear but does not look to bad....
                        That's good news, are you planning on just changing the remaining oil out and driving it another 2500 miles to check again? Best wishes man, this sucks.

Comment

So what is the source of the massive leak? I don't think the VANOS could leak this bad unless something loose and fell off.

Engine sounds smooth and no strange noise?

Whenever seeing red oil light, just turn engine off immediately (unless turning front of traffic) and have E light flashing. Blocking traffic so what?
                          Last edited by sapote; 01-30-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                            So what is the source of the massive leak? I don't think the VANOS could leak this bad unless something loose and fell off.

Engine sounds smooth and no strange noise?

Whenever seeing red oil light, just turn engine off immediately (unless turning front of traffic) and have E light flashing. Blocking traffic so what?
                            It was the vanos, all around the exhaust piston cover. I filled with oil and turned it on and it was gushing out in copious amounts. I ran it for maybe 30-45 seconds and at least a quart or quart and a half gushed out. I have the vanos apart now and it looks like the oring was not installed correctly on the piston as it along with the silicon ring were completely torn in half when I pulled the piston out. I'm guessing the previous owner did not quite get them seated correctly when the vanos was rebuilt.

The engine did sound and feel smooth like normal when I ran it for those 30-45 seconds. I'm still going to do a borascope on the cylinders before I put everything back together. If everything looks fine, ill do a short 2500 mile run and test the oil again and see how she looks. If numbers are still showing higher then normal it would probably bee a good idea to change the bearings? Thoughts?

Comment

it looks like the oring was not installed correctly on the piston as it along with the silicon ring were completely torn in half when I pulled the piston out.
                              Bad O-rings on piston is not the reason for the external leak. Must be the cap O-ring or lack of it.

If rod bearings were not replaced recently then I would buy a set, then remove the bearing caps and check condition of old bearings, if good then bolt them back with new bolts.

Comment

I recently had a massive oil leak on my car. It turned out to be the freeze plug on the cylinder head behind the vanos solenoid. Below is a picture.

When I was on the freeway, my car developed a massive oil leak. Oil is everywhere on the front passenger side of the engine. Oil is all over the bottom side of the headers, frame rail, undertray, steering rack, suspension, and the front right wheel well. Prior to this, my car did not have any real leaks. I recently changed
                                2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                                1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                                IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Working...
                                X