Sticky maintenance thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky maintenance thread?

On the last forum we had an e46 m3 maintenance thread made by Ian that was stickied. It outlined inspection 1 and 2 as well as recommended maintenance. Each item had an imbedded link to the DIY. Did anybody save this? If not I can make a new one for us.

Also, we can make it in a google doc file to update as necessary and download as PDF

I'm hooping to get a new one up today...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

There is a website called Build Journal that discusses many aspects of the E46 M3, including maintenance. Below is the address, and below that are some screen shots (with limited info, meaning limited to what can be captured in a “print screen”) of that contained in the Maintenance Section. It’s pretty good, in fact good enough that it could apply to almost any car, at least the basic mechanical items, and not specific items like VANOS, but other car automotive brands do use variable valve timing so using one’s noodle to apply some common sense and use “variable valve timing,“ the list can be adapted to cross over to some degree.

https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-guides/bmw-e46-m3-maintenance-guide/

Click image for larger version  Name:	0590BD47-0F01-4373-9B0D-72453E3292AC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	8053

Click image for larger version  Name:	C95DED97-F6FF-4704-BD5F-EED6F785164E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	8054

Click image for larger version  Name:	2194D028-D7E3-4453-BA7B-85C9178FF4F2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	8055
      Last edited by Speed Monkey; 04-08-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I think a lot of that Build Journal piece was originally based on Obioban's sticky on old M3F.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Rewrote it:
          The e46 M3 has two significant failure modes, that can cause you a LARGE expense if you wait for them to fail instead of addressing them preemptively. I would very much suggest locking down the VANOS bolts/tabs and the subframe BEFORE you have failure-- see post 4. This thread will be broken down into 3 sections 1. When to do

Might give it some tweaks in the coming days, in case I forgot anything, but I believe it's pretty complete....

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Does anyone have access to the part of the old maintenance thread that listed who the OE manufacturer was for various parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Stepstools View Post
              Does anyone have access to the part of the old maintenance thread that listed who the OE manufacturer was for various parts?
              FCP does that on their site.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                I think a lot of that Build Journal piece was originally based on Obioban's sticky on old M3F.
                From what I remember that whole website is essentially a regurgitation of M3forum
                2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

From what I remember that whole website is essentially a regurgitation of M3forum
                  Yep.

... and then trying to pull members off M3forum onto there.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

But have you seen their merch??? 🤣

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      Rewrote it:
                      The e46 M3 has two significant failure modes, that can cause you a LARGE expense if you wait for them to fail instead of addressing them preemptively. I would very much suggest locking down the VANOS bolts/tabs and the subframe BEFORE you have failure-- see post 4. This thread will be broken down into 3 sections 1. When to do

Might give it some tweaks in the coming days, in case I forgot anything, but I believe it's pretty complete....
                      You’re the man! Thanks Ian for your dedication. I don’t think we really show our appreciation for how much you do enough. I genuinely thank you brotha.

Comment

Here’s another idea. Remember flow’s OE parts manufacturer list that was stickied? Can we sticky that as well. I might have it in my downloads somewhere I will have to check. I’ll update in a few hours

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
                          Here’s another idea. Remember flow’s OE parts manufacturer list that was stickied? Can we sticky that as well. I might have it in my downloads somewhere I will have to check. I’ll update in a few hours
                          I'm not sure it serves a purpose, now that FCP denotes who was the OEM for various parts on their site....

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Yep.

... and then trying to pull members off M3forum onto there.
                            It's not a forum though... So how would that have worked?
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

It's not a forum though... So how would that have worked?
                              I think I saw some posts in Facebook E46 M3 groups where they were trying to route folks to other forums as replacement for m3f.
                              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X