No announcement yet.

Rod Bearings & Vanos @ 110k (2006 car) [Matt Coyne @ Coyne|Kassel Performance]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod Bearings & Vanos @ 110k (2006 car) [Matt Coyne @ Coyne|Kassel Performance]

Hi guys, thought I'd kick off the new forum by showcasing a much-needed Vanos-Bulletproofing and Rod-Bearing-Replacement on an 06 zcp. I sought out Matt last year for rear-end bulletproofing (reinforcement plates + weld-in vincebar), per this communities recommendation, and left incredibly impressed. His new location at Kassel Performance is a sight to behold and a worthwhile visit just to stop by and tour the cars their working on.

Without further ado: pictures.

Broken Hub!

Got lucky, it snapped off in the disk.

Matt texted me with some options. We looked at the VAC hub, which has reinforced tabs. The tabs are thicker and designed to remove the excess play between the OEM tabs and OEM pump disk. Alternatively we looked at the Dr Vanos Cyro hub + a redrilled disk. Per Matt's recommendation that the VAC solution would be the most robust, we ended up going with the VAC Hub + my original disk.

Post-Bulletproofing Vanos test results

Onto the bearings

Copper!

For reference, here are my blackstone oil reports (ignore the makeup-oil-added section, that was a reporting mistake on my end)

All oil changes since 60k (when I took ownership) were done with LiquiMoly 10W-60 every 5-10k miles. I additionally added LiquiMoly CeraTec every 15-20k miles. Moving forward, I'm considering going with Castrol just for the oem-peace-of-mind. But the LiquiMoly combo seemed to work pretty well. Even wear and not too shabby for 110k miles.

Nevertheless, ended up getting quite lucky with running the vanos and the bearings all the way to 110k. Matt also refreshed the cooling system while in there, and put in some TMS monoball fcabs.

Can't wait to take her for a spin!

Last edited by mcfreid; 03-19-2020, 03:35 PM.
    2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
    2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Thank you for the report. I just passed 100k on my 06 ZCP so I should get this done soon as well!

Comment

Originally posted by SocalM3 View Post
      Thank you for the report. I just passed 100k on my 06 ZCP so I should get this done soon as well!
      Absolutely. What I know now, I should have done it earlier. Was really surprised to find a broken tab in the pump disk as I didn't hear or feel any difference while driving.

Comment

You typically don't feel a difference until both go. My M3 had 66k on it amd the tab was sheared. It had been like that for a while because it had banged up the oil disk. Power was unaffected.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Interesting. i wonder why it seems so common that one goes, but the other stays. Would have expected as soon as one goes, the other would be soon to follow. Either way, excited to know that this won't be something I have to worry about with the VAC hub.

Comment

Working...
            X