Looking For Someone to do Rod Bearings & Other Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For Someone to do Rod Bearings & Other Work

Hey everyone, I know that Kaiv offers his services over on the west coast. I was wondering if there is someone who can do similar work in/near Richmond, VA. I have a local guy who is an excellent BMW mechanic, but he's a bit backed up currently. I have all the parts needed for a bearing job (+ new motor mounts, steering guibo, and control arms). I'd love to DIY but i'm in school and don't have the tools or space to work. Currently sitting at 163k miles with a lot of original parts, and am worried about bearing failure.

Thanks!
    11 E90 M3 Alpine White
    96 FJ80 Black
    05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
    89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
    02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

More or less in the same boat, here, but I'm in Northern VA. Not interested in shops wanting $2k+ for the job. I'm looking for a small shop or individual mechanic with proven experience replacing these rod bearings that'll take my $1k.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilation View Post
      More or less in the same boat, here, but I'm in Northern VA. Not interested in shops wanting $2k+ for the job. I'm looking for a small shop or individual mechanic with proven experience replacing these rod bearings that'll take my $1k.
      Are you including parts in that cost?
      2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

Are you including parts in that cost?
        No. Assuming I'd pick those up on my own.

Comment

I think the only time someone has done rod bearings for 1k in labor is when I do them every now and then for people. It's a lot of work for $1k, besides the risk. I suppose you will waive the risk factor for whoever does this job for you

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
            I think the only time someone has done rod bearings for 1k in labor is when I do them every now and then for people. It's a lot of work for $1k, besides the risk. I suppose you will waive the risk factor for whoever does this job for you
            I charge right ~$1K in labor to perform a rod bearing service which includes replacement of engine mounts, steering coupler, power steering fluid flush, etc. I also do far more than just a typical "rod bearing service" in regards to cleaning of parts, inspecting as I work, etc. I outlined my work in the following post (other posts show vanos overhaul work, etc.).

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/r...0292#post60292

Unfortunately my garage is on the west coast (SF Bay Area) so that doesn't help the OP.
            Last edited by DanAvoN7; 02-02-2021, 01:44 PM.
            SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
            E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

If you’re willing to drive to MD:

York Automotive - Mt Airy, MD

or

Tommy Ivic at Tier One in Baltimore, MD

RRT in VA is also good but very costly.

Comment

I second Tier One in Baltimore, they're about 10 minutes from me and offered to do it for about $1200.

I hear that Mpire Automotive in Owings Mills and Prime Care Auto are both great shops in Baltimore as well, but I have no idea how much they charge for rod bearings.
                2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
                  I second Tier One in Baltimore, they're about 10 minutes from me and offered to do it for about $1200.

I hear that Mpire Automotive in Owings Mills and Prime Care Auto are both great shops in Baltimore as well, but I have no idea how much they charge for rod bearings.
                  I've been speaking to Prime Care Auto, I don't mind driving up to MD. Although I'd need to arrange for a place to stay, and factor in gas/etc. They look like they do solid work, just need to figure out if it's worth it to spend the money to get up there, vs spending that difference on someone local.
                  11 E90 M3 Alpine White
                  96 FJ80 Black
                  05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
                  86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
                  89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
                  02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X