Damper ratings for stock setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damper ratings for stock setup

I understand that without getting into coil overs that there are limited options for dampers for the M3. Koni yellows, Sachs, and Bilstein B4 and B6. We can leave out the OE BMW dampers as I understand they are rebranded Sachs. I need to refresh my suspension and would like to get some input as to how these rate on the stiffness scale. I would like to soften up things up a bit while maintaining the stock setup. If I am forgetting any options please weigh in.

Konis ride the best.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I had kind of written off coilovers based on input that I got but Ground Control assures me that they can make a setup that will improve on the comfort of the stock setup. The setup does come with the adjustable Konis and I think you can adjust them without removing from the car
      E46 M3 Complete Coilover Kit, Street/School (Complete Front Assemblies – Ground Control Suspension Systems (groundcontrolstore.com)
      Should I believe them?
      2002 vert
      From Ground control:

Yes it will be a much better ride. The car will handle better but also give your a better ride at the same time. Mention the information of how you want the car to ride when you purchase and we will set you up with desired spring rates as well.

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 06:02:33 -0800, Arthur Nichols <nicholsart@yahoo.com> wrote:
      Will this setup definitely be more comfortable than the stock e46 M3 setup? My wife is giving me the thumbs up and I am doing this as much for her as for me and I don't want her to be disappointed after spending $2G,

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 11:54:35 AM EST, <nick@groundcontrolmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 08:33:37 -0800, ethan@groundcontrolmail.com <ethan@groundcontrolmail.com> wrote:
      Yes we can get you setup with something like that. Here is a link to the kit we would recommend https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...ont-assemblies .
      When purchasing include the same information you gave us here and we will be able to set you up with the correct spring rates to cater to the comfort you are looking for.

Hello, I have a 2002 e46 M3 vert. I find the suspension a bit stiff for DD. I understand that the suspension for the 330CI ZHP would be more comfortable for DD and would be a drop in swap without being overly floaty. Can you recommend a setup that will get me close to the ZHP level of comfort and control? Thanks Art
      Last edited by sharadn; 02-18-2021, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sharadn View Post
        I had kind of written off coilovers based on input that I got but Ground Control assures me that they can make a setup that will improve on the comfort of the stock setup. The setup does come with the adjustable Konis and I think you can adjust them without removing from the car
        E46 M3 Complete Coilover Kit, Street/School (Complete Front Assemblies – Ground Control Suspension Systems (groundcontrolstore.com)
        Should I believe them?
        2002 vert
        From Ground control:

Yes it will be a much better ride. The car will handle better but also give your a better ride at the same time. Mention the information of how you want the car to ride when you purchase and we will set you up with desired spring rates as well.

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 06:02:33 -0800, Arthur Nichols <nicholsart@yahoo.com> wrote:
        Will this setup definitely be more comfortable than the stock e46 M3 setup? My wife is giving me the thumbs up and I am doing this as much for her as for me and I don't want her to be disappointed after spending $2G,

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 11:54:35 AM EST, <nick@groundcontrolmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 08:33:37 -0800, ethan@groundcontrolmail.com <ethan@groundcontrolmail.com> wrote:
        Yes we can get you setup with something like that. Here is a link to the kit we would recommend https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...ont-assemblies .
        When purchasing include the same information you gave us here and we will be able to set you up with the correct spring rates to cater to the comfort you are looking for.

Hello, I have a 2002 e46 M3 vert. I find the suspension a bit stiff for DD. I understand that the suspension for the 330CI ZHP would be more comfortable for DD and would be a drop in swap without being overly floaty. Can you recommend a setup that will get me close to the ZHP level of comfort and control? Thanks Art
        That would highly depend on their spring rates IMO... are you on 19" wheels? What tires?
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

18" wheels Conti DWS06 on the back with older Pilot sport A3 on the front. Once I get my suspension sorted out and aligned I will put the Contis on the front as well. I would just like to soften things up a bit and make the suspension a bit more supple so that expansion joints and so on are not so jarring. It seems that the Koni sports are the best for this. I had originally considered coilovers because the springs and valves can be customized and matched (for comfort) but all the feedback that I got was that the coil overs will only increase the harshness. Maybe the GC setup with the adjustable Konis would be more comfortable than the stock setup. It seems that all my dampers are still good. No oil leaks. They are not bouncy or floaty and still seem to dampen but they seem kind of dead like bumps are just a thud instead of being adsorbed. Stock BMW units with 105K on them.
          I also got a similar sales pitch about the Ohlins road and track but apparently they are setup for coupes and not verts. I'm not interested in lowering
          Last edited by sharadn; 02-18-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

In your OP, you say you want to soften things up from stock?

I would trust companies like GC or anyone else with a task like that as they love slapping on 500lb springs (stock is 143lb).

Maybe we should really clarify what it is that you want. Removing your front strut bar would make the ride more comfortable, for example, but few would actually do that.

It may be as simple as just swapping out your old dampers (and spring pads/bumps) with new yellow koni, black billys (b4) or oem sachs. I wouldn't bother with Konis if you're going to repurpose stock springs - no need to pay a little extra for adjustability.

As alluded to, 18" wheels/tires will have big effect on comfort over 19"

Maybe new mounts are in order too.
            Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-18-2021, 09:41 AM.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Do you mean:
              I would NOT trust companies like GC or anyone else with a task like that as they love slapping on 500lb springs (stock is 143lb)?
              I understand that the Konis have this "digressive valving" that the Sachs or B4 do not have and this makes them somewhat more supple. Correct me if I am mistaken. I may just change out the dampers as you suggested but would hope for an improvement in ride. That is why I was wondering which setup would be the most comfortable for a daily driver. The mounts all still seem good. It seems that my current setup is very stiff and great on a very smooth road (or track) but when things get bumpy the whole car moves around.
              I think that the best way to describe it is like the difference between run flats and regular tires. The regular tires seem lively and the run flats feel dead. Somehow my suspension just does not feel lively it feels kind of dead.
              Last edited by sharadn; 02-18-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Koni yellows are pretty supple (why I don't like them, personally, and much prefer B6s), which make them a good choice for DD. It's just that usually, you pair them with eibach/dinan/HR/vogtland/et al lowering springs and turn the adjuster a 1/4- full turn or so. You can run them on full soft with stock springs no problem, but you can also save money and pair stock springs with sachs or B4s since no adjustment is needed.

If a stock e46 M3, with well used suspension, is still too stiff for you, then sell it and buy a lexus.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have an E91 on B4 shocks, I'd skip them and just get Konis. I wish I had done that. Adjustable or not, I'm leaning toward thinking the overall damping quality of Koni Yellows is a step above in general.

I wouldn't get GC coilovers if your goal is a more comfortable DD, lol.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

There must be something wrong with my setup. Others don't seem to experience it so harsh. It seems there is virtually no travel. It is an early car and I understand the later ones have more travel and softer springs. I really don't want a Lexus and really love my M3. Hence the commitment to make it work for me.

Comment

I think you're headed down the right path and its probably a simple matter of needing to do a suspension refresh.
                      - No leaks on original shocks with 105k do not mean they are functioning properly. Remove those shocks and I would bet there is very little resistance in either direction of travel (whereas there should be, increasingly so on rebound).
                      - You have a convertible - there is a much higher degree of undesired NVH. Nothing to be done about it. Run a front strut brace if you haven't bought one yet, though.
                      - I didn't see comments on bushings - lower control arms bushing, rear trailing arm bushings, and then assess the ball joints in front and rear.
                      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I just replaced bushings front and rear and all the ball joints are still tight. It was in for an alignment with a very knowledgeable shop and he told he everything was tight. I have confirmed also. I have one shock out and will check it out.

Comment

What vehicle(s) have you been accustomed to for the last 5 or 10 yrs?
                          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

4-BMW e36s,3- sedans, 1- vert, 2-BMW e91 xdrives, 1 BMW-e46 sedan 325i, 1 BMW E46 M3. I find the sedan a bit floaty. The E91's are better dampened than the e46 and not too harsh (but forget about the run flats)

Comment

I was curious if your expectation was for the more solid feeling sedan/coupe/wagon. You've had a convertible though. As you know, they are just going to shake, rattle and roll much more than a steel roof. My $0.02 is the shocks are still worth doing but I am saying you probably won't fully close the gap between current state and potential expectation for an M3

Comment

Working...
                              X