Diff rebuilds. Racing diffs vs diffs online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff rebuilds. Racing diffs vs diffs online

Picked up a clutch rebuild set from racing diffs. With the right tools doesn't look to horrible a job. A friend of mine reached out to diffs online and they told him that the clutch disks from racing diffs are inferior and that they make their own clutch disks in house, which I kinda find hard to believe. One is selling a rebuild kit for a few hundred. The other is selling the labor to rebuild the diff for 1500 plus shipping not including shipping the core back.

Just wondering if any of you have any input or have you all skipped this and just gone to straight 2 ways.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I skipped clutches completely and went with a wavetrac 😜
    (forms Diffsonline)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I have a Diffsonline diff in my car.

It's one of the few reasons I still have it.
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I have yet to see a bad review from a customer that used RacingDiffs. I’m in the process of rebuilding mine at the moment. I’m curious how they’re inferior.
        Last edited by Mspir3d; 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM.
        IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

I, too have the racing diffs clutch set along with the shim. I installed it myself and it wasn't hard as long as you have a large enough vise to hold the carrier when your torque down the ring bolts. I did a couple of drift events and a handful of track events. The car feels better (similar to a 1.5 way diff) when I took it drifting. I had to take the diff apart again recently due to a failing pinion bearing and re-inspected the clutches, still looks good. No damage to the clutches and spider gears. For the price, I think it's worth it especially if you do the work yourself. I couldn't bite the bullet for a 2 way due to "bmw-tax". But if you have the budget for an os-giken, do it
          Last edited by enjoy_m3; 02-23-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            (forms Diffsonline)
            I was thinking of doing the same. How has it been? Have you (or will you) taken it out on the track?

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

I was thinking of doing the same. How has it been? Have you (or will you) taken it out on the track?
              I’ll let you know in the spring.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                (forms Diffsonline)
                I bet you'll love it. Can't beat a proper diff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm about to bite the bullet on a DiffsOnline 3-clutch with the 35/60 ramps and a 3.85 ring. Primarily for spirited road driving, I'm hoping for a quiet ride and a little better lockup than M-variable. Reason I'm doing it now is due to a whining at 70mph and a leak on the right axle. Hoping the DiffsOnline setup fixes all that (albeit for $5k....).
                  Wondering if anyone else has any experience with a setup like this?
                  Car is a 2003 E46 M3 Convertible w 120k on it (big three done at 100k).
                  Thanks in advance!

Comment

For that money, i would do at least 3.91

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                      For that money, i would do at least 3.91
                      Meh, only if you prefer them. I'd rather have the stock ratios.

... and did a diffsonline diff (wavetrac), with the stock gear ratio, for that reason.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I got the diffsonline diff with 4.10 (was supposed to be 3.91 but I sware they are 4.10), I have not had any issues and the car fells so much better with the different ratio.

Comment

It is possible that diffsonline has a manufacturer that can punch out a clutch plate and steels. Should be pretty standard stuff.

For the V1 unit, I think the RacingDiffs rebuild kit is good for a DIYer. The V2 unit is more of a PIA. At least it has been for me.

I scored a complete 210mm diff with the ZF LSD for $250 before prices got much higher. I threw in the 4 clutch kit conversion and used the 45/45 ramps. It’s been great so far. I would like to get the 35/60 ramps at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace280 View Post
                            I got the diffsonline diff with 4.10 (was supposed to be 3.91 but I sware they are 4.10), I have not had any issues and the car fells so much better with the different ratio.
                            Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any whine at speed with a 4.10? Any extra NVH over stock?

Comment

Working...
                            X