Exhaust cam timing after vanos job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust cam timing after vanos job.

So I went through the vanos procedure. Crank the engine over 720 degrees and both cams line up perfectly with the cam bridge tool.(checked multiple
    times) Than I start the car and pull the valve cover off and the exhaust cam doesn’t line up. intake cam lines up perfect though. Anyone else run into this ?Click image for larger version

Name:	0CE199F2-06F4-4B34-9F27-B90DA3B79064.jpeg
Views:	505
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	8715

By no means am I am expert in anything related to this. It’s my understanding that you fully retard the timing (rotate cams counter clockwise) prior to doing vanos. As soon as you start the car, the onboard computers begin changing timing again. This should rotate the cams clockwise, as you have pictured.

I believe your computer began adjusting timing after you started the car.
    Last edited by Inizes; 04-09-2020, 12:11 PM.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Once you start the car and shut it off, computer adjusts the cams into a position that is best for starting the car the next time - retarded on intake side and advanced on exhaust side.

That is why one of the first steps of the vanos job is to fully retard the exhaust cam - rotate it ccw if facing the engine from the front of the car (after which it will make the pin from the bridge drop in easily).

You have any error codes or car running rough?
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        Once you start the car and shut it off, computer adjusts the cams into a position that is best for starting the car the next time - retarded on intake side and advanced on exhaust side.

That is why one of the first steps of the vanos job is to fully retard the exhaust cam (after which it will make the pin from the bridge drop in easily).

You have any error codes or car running rough?
        I run an aem infinity but there is no errors. And yes the cam was fully retarted. I think I freaked out because I popped the valve cover off and it wasn’t anywhere near the pin whole after running.

Comment

That's normal. Unless your car idles/runs like crap, dont worry about it. When you shut the car off, the vanos adjusts the timing to make it optimal for start up, thats why they dont line up when you pop the valve cover off again.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_M3 View Post
            That's normal. Unless your car idles/runs like crap, dont worry about it. When you shut the car off, the vanos adjusts the timing to make it optimal for start up, thats why they dont line up when you pop the valve cover off again.
            Awesome thank you

Comment

Send it!
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X