No announcement yet.

M3 Oil Consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my m3 years ago with about 90k on it, it used about a liter every 2-3k miles. I checked/repaired oil leaks and still had the issue. The bumper would have very slight residue you could feel but not really see by the exhaust tips, but there was never any visible smoke even when accelerating.. I lived with it and really didn't like posts were people would talk about how there m3 didn't use any oil at all lol. I always assumed it was the rings. About 2 years ago i had to pull the cylinder head for a different reason, but went over the head while it was out. The valve guides were all out of spec, I ended up putting a different head on the car and it hasn't used a drop of oil since(it has around 140k now).

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM3 View Post
      I bought my m3 years ago with about 90k on it, it used about a liter every 2-3k miles. I checked/repaired oil leaks and still had the issue. The bumper would have very slight residue you could feel but not really see by the exhaust tips, but there was never any visible smoke even when accelerating.. I lived with it and really didn't like posts were people would talk about how there m3 didn't use any oil at all lol. I always assumed it was the rings. About 2 years ago i had to pull the cylinder head for a different reason, but went over the head while it was out. The valve guides were all out of spec, I ended up putting a different head on the car and it hasn't used a drop of oil since(it has around 140k now).
      Yikes... what did that job cost you?

Comment

I think the used head was around 600(supposedly had 60k miles and it did look and measure good), headgasket/bolts etc. maybe 300. I DIY everything so only parts cost...

Comment

Having used Castrol 10/60 for two 5K intervals and now BMW 10/60 for two 5K intervals, I've never had to add any oil between changes. I've put a total of 20K on the car since I bought in June of 2019.

Comment

Working...
          X