288/280 Schrick cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

288/280 Schrick cams

I have recently purchased used good condition schrick cams. My car is only street driven. I know this topic has been discussed loads, sorry to bring this up. My engine has covered 80,000 miles and I have had the headgasket done by 'EverythingM3', he stated my engine was in good condition. The DLC e92 rockers have gone up loads here in the UK. £1300 for 24 is the cheapest I can find. The schrick cams that I have brought have come with stock rockers from the seller. He states the rockers are in great condition and he also said that he has built many engines and says no need to fit DLC rockers. The only reason hack and vac recommend it is to increase sales. 10 - 15 years ago most people just used stock rockers. Most people say its better to have new cams being worn in with new rockers but is this the same with used cams? Have many people on here had any issues with stock rockers and 288/280 schricks?
    Last edited by M3JetBlackCoupe; 03-05-2021, 05:22 AM.

IIRC the followers are only optional on 280/272-- mandatory on 288/280.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yes, Shrick states mandatory. Just a hunch: I think you’ll find cases of (and people quoting) stock followers being OK where the engine is street driven. For more demanding applications, it’s probably guaranteed to wear abnormally. I don’t think you’ll find an owner quoting stock followers are OK for this cam profile where the vehicle sees any kind of track use.
      Last edited by jbfrancis3; 03-05-2021, 04:36 AM.
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
        Yes, Shrick states mandatory. Just a hunch: I think you’ll find cases of (and people quoting) stock followers being OK where the engine is street driven. For more demanding applications, it’s probably guaranteed to wear abnormally. I don’t think you’ll find an owner quoting stock followers are OK for this cam profile where the vehicle sees any kind of track use.
        I use my car for "hillclimbs". Stock followers, no problem. Schrick followers = stock followers with dlc coating.

Comment

Okay thanks. These are the standard lift 288/280's. My car is street driven. Will never see a track. It might be okay. Gonna have to have a think about it. Has anyone kept stock rockers and actually had a problem though or seen abnormal wear? I have done quite a lot of research on all different forums, going back years and never seen a reported problem.

Comment

Originally posted by M3JetBlackCoupe View Post
            Okay thanks. These are the standard lift 288/280's. My car is street driven. Will never see a track. It might be okay. Gonna have to have a think about it. Has anyone kept stock rockers and actually had a problem though or seen abnormal wear? I have done quite a lot of research on all different forums, going back years and never seen a reported problem.
            For a street driven car, 288/280 is kind of silly anyway. As compared to 280/272, worse power at low RPM and only more power at over 8000 rpm-- which I assume you're not doing. Sell the 288/280s, get 280/272s, make more or equal power everywhere, don't need followers, success.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

You can run stock followers with 288/280 standard lift cams.

DLC coated followers is more of a safety net/insurance.

If you don't care, send it.

If you have time to build a spare head, I'd go down that route.

Also for street driving, the 288's are meh. They really come on past like 6k and pull hard to 8500. But on the street you're not really doing that often.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

For a street driven car, 288/280 is kind of silly anyway. As compared to 280/272, worse power at low RPM and only more power at over 8000 rpm-- which I assume you're not doing. Sell the 288/280s, get 280/272s, make more or equal power everywhere, don't need followers, success.
                This is the sign from the universe i was looking for, great info!
                | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

I had issues (and a few others w/ CatCams). I had to rip and replace with new cams and rockers at 288/280 w/ moderate to heavy track use. I had horrible and uneven wear w/ used cams and my oe used rockers, at around the same mileage as you. In the 80-85k mile range. PM me and I can send picts, experiences, etc.
                  Last edited by LemansM; 03-05-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by siamkazi View Post

This is the sign from the universe i was looking for, great info!
                    Yes.. Couldn't agree more with this information above.

Comment

Originally posted by LemansM View Post

I had issues (and a few others). I had to rip and replace with new cams and rockers at 288/280 w/ moderate to heavy track use. I had horrible and uneven wear w/ used cams and my oe used rockers, at around the same mileage as you. In the 80-85k mile range. PM me and I can send picts, experiences, etc.
                      Okay. Will defo look at uprated rockers then or
                      swapping to 280/272. Quite a lot of people on m3cutters running road cars with 288/280’s and paul claude tune and happy how the car drives, hence why I brought them. Didn’t realise they are more suited for track set ups.

Comment

I have recently purchased used good condition schrick cams. My car is only street driven. I know this topic has been discussed loads, sorry to bring this up. My engine has covered 80,000 miles and I have had the headgasket done by 'EverythingM3', he stated my engine was in good condition. The DLC e92 rockers have gone up loads here in the UK. £1300 for 24 is the cheapest I can find. The schrick cams that I have brought have come with stock rockers from the seller. He states the rockers are in great condition and he also said that he has built many engines and says no need to fit DLC rockers. The only reason hack and vac recommend it is to increase sales. 10 - 15 years ago most people just used stock rockers. Most people say its better to have new cams being worn in with new rockers but is this the same with used cams? Have many people on here had any issues with stock rockers and 288/280 schricks?
                        He’s Ex Jenson Button’s no.1 Mechanic from
                        Brawns F1 days and previous to that Williams F1. I’d listen to what he recommends over everyone else on here. I am sure he’s well qualified to make that judgment.

Comment

I thought the more recent understanding was that the 288/280 made at least as much power as 280/272 at low rpms and has potential for more based on the tune?

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer man View Post
                            I thought the more recent understanding was that the 288/280 made at least as much power as 280/272 at low rpms and has potential for more based on the tune?
                            No one has actually tested legitimately and published results comparing the two on the forums without other changes nor on the same engine. With cams on the street conservative is probably better. There’s a whole lot more tho how they drive than what WOT at >3000rpm on a dyno sheet tells you

Comment

Anyone have cams to sell they aren’t using/want to get rid of?

Comment

Working...
                              X