Dead Battery Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Battery Question...

I was away for a few weeks (not prison) and left my car in the driveway (NYC) and it's been pretty cold. Anyway, left the keys with a neighbor who I asked to start it and drive it occasionally to keep the battery going. He said he tried starting the car last week, dash lights came on but battery was low. He boosted it and it started but didn't drive it. He said he allowed it to idle for about 5 min and shut it down. I came back over the weekend and tried starting the car today and it's completely dead (keys won't open door, no dash lights) The battery was replaced 2 years ago with an OEM one. Mechanic said I should jump it directly from the truck rather than from the terminal under the hood because there is some solenoid that might prevent it from charging the battery if it's completely dead? I wasn't aware of this. Any suggestions?

Idling for 5 mins is not enough to charge up a low battey. Starting a car drains the battery a lot.

Many options.

Jump it and go for a long drive.
    Take battery out and get it tested and charged at Autozone.
    Trickle charge at home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a battery tender for $25 on eBay and leave it plugged in when you don’t drive it for longer periods of time. I use mine during the winter, and my car started right up after not driving it for 3 months. It will also prolong the life of your battery.

5 minutes if idling isn’t enough to recharge it. You just drive it 15-20 minutes to charge the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by ViN View Post
        I was away for a few weeks (not prison) and left my car in the driveway (NYC) and it's been pretty cold. Anyway, left the keys with a neighbor who I asked to start it and drive it occasionally to keep the battery going. He said he tried starting the car last week, dash lights came on but battery was low. He boosted it and it started but didn't drive it. He said he allowed it to idle for about 5 min and shut it down. I came back over the weekend and tried starting the car today and it's completely dead (keys won't open door, no dash lights) The battery was replaced 2 years ago with an OEM one. Mechanic said I should jump it directly from the truck rather than from the terminal under the hood because there is some solenoid that might prevent it from charging the battery if it's completely dead? I wasn't aware of this. Any suggestions?
        1) 5 minutes at 14v charging is not enough for a low charge batt. Unfortunately prolong a low charged batt would ruin it. If it was charged overnight to full then it was saved, but it wasn't.
        2) for these cars the front jumper posts connected directly to the batt and so no difference charging at batt or at the front posts.
        3) If it's completely discharged then it maybe hopeless, but give it a try charging it overnight and if it won't hold charge then it's dead.

Comment

Thanks guys. So it looks like the battery is shot. I tried jumping it and it doesn't seem to be holding enough power to crank. Follow up question, can I just purchase a replacement and drop it in or does it have to be registered? I don't recall ever asking the mechanic if that was done the last time it was replaced.
          Last edited by ViN; 03-07-2021, 03:36 AM.

Comment

E46 does not require battery registration. Pull out drop in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ViN View Post
              Thanks guys. So it looks like the battery is shot. I tried jumping it and it doesn't seem to be holding enough power to crank. Follow up question, can I just purchase a replacement and drop it in or does it have to be registered? I don't recall ever asking the mechanic if that was done the last time it was replaced.
              no registration required. get an interstate from costco, if you dont have membership then pepboys and advanceauto have 20-25% off coupons. Walmart is very cheap too. Last place I'd go is autozone cuz you'd pay out of the behind.
              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Use a multimeter to make sure your alternator is still good. 2 years on a battery seems too short.

The bit about the “solenoid” not allowing the battery to charge is not true in my experience.

You might have a parasitic drain from any aftermarket electrical work that is killing your battery.

Comment

Working...
                X