Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freaky parts / Buildjournal Brembo BBK vs 996 DIY BBK for HPDE/track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaky parts / Buildjournal Brembo BBK vs 996 DIY BBK for HPDE/track?

Upgrade your E46 M3 brakes with our 4-pot Brembo BBK retrofit kit. Featuring Brembo Renault Mégane RS Trophy-R calipers, custom 6061-T6 aluminum caliper brackets made in the USA, stainless steel brake lines and all hardware necessary for caliper install. Rotors and brake pads not included. This is a direct bolt-on kit for the E46 M3 using 345x28 Competition/ZCP/CSL rotors. 🔴⚪🔵 Proudly sourced and assembled in the USA with local businesses and BMW friends

Leaning towards one of the kits rather than 996 so I don’t have to deal with rebuilding used calipers ... any thoughts on pros and cons? Still need to see if FCP stocks pads for these calipers. This will be for a 90/10 street/track car.
    ‘04 M3

Funny, I have the Freaky Parts kit sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I went with it over the 996 fronts primarily because it's such a good deal to get factory new calipers and the rest of the kit. I bought it on Black Friday and received it from the UK shortly after.

Also, it takes the D1001 pad which might be the most common shape under the sun. If you can think of the compound, they most likely make it in that shape. I also think the caliper design is superior to the Porsche setup with dampers and etc.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
      https://thebuildjournal.com/shop/bmw...it-kit-e46-m3/

Leaning towards one of the kits rather than 996 so I don’t have to deal with rebuilding used calipers ... any thoughts on pros and cons? Still need to see if FCP stocks pads for these calipers. This will be for a 90/10 street/track car.
      It seems that FCP still carries DTC-60/70 for many cars like an E30 or the E46 M3, but not the 996 anymore. Not sure if they permanently discontinued the part or if it's just a revision that is yet to update/restock. Last I looked they still carry the akibono pad which is a nice low dust street pad, and ferodo DS2500 which is a medium duty track pad. My thought is that if you are exceeding the limits of the factory brake system, then the DS2500 isn't a good option for serious track work.

Their 360mm kit using the E90 M3 rotor is interesting. I wonder what the brake bias becomes with either 345mm or 360mm kit with the Megane calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
        Their 360mm kit using the E90 M3 rotor is interesting. I wonder what the brake bias becomes with either 345mm or 360mm kit with the Megane calipers.
        Build Journal claims the Megane front & 996 rear is the closest setup to stock front + rear. Of course, this assumes their math is correct.

TBH, I would expect these cars to benefit from bias going a couple % to the rear like CSL cars from the factory, in which case Megane front & stock rear would be closer. Either way, 996 front & rear moves the bias to the rear even more so than the CSL bias.

Assuming any of us can even sense 0.5% difference in brake bias.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Build Journal claims the Megane front & 996 rear is the closest setup to stock front + rear. Of course, this assumes their math is correct.

TBH, I would expect these cars to benefit from bias going a couple % to the rear like CSL cars from the factory, in which case Megane front & stock rear would be closer. Either way, 996 front & rear moves the bias to the rear even more so than the CSL bias.

Assuming any of us can even sense 0.5% difference in brake bias.
          agreed, a bit more rear bias is good. Especially when increasing suspension stiffness, you have less dive on the front axle, which equates to less unloading on the rear axle which allows the rear brakes carry more load.

I'd like to run 17" wheels with 996, but if I can source the pads through FCP, then I might consider other options and keep the 18's. The E90 M3 rotors with alpha calipers they offer is also interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

agreed, a bit more rear bias is good. Especially when increasing suspension stiffness, you have less dive on the front axle, which equates to less unloading on the rear axle which allows the rear brakes carry more load.

I'd like to run 17" wheels with 996, but if I can source the pads through FCP, then I might consider other options and keep the 18's. The E90 M3 rotors with alpha calipers they offer is also interesting.
            If you wanted to try one of the 6-pot caliper with E9X rotor kits, I'd go for their AMG one. That takes 1291/1405/1382 pad shapes which are pretty common. I don't know off the top of my head what those Alfa calipers would take. Probably easier to find those AMG calipers too, they have been on so many AMG cars with 360mm front rotors.

I thought about running E9X calipers when I bought mine but I was too lazy to do the math. Also it seems 345mm is enough for these cars at N/A power levels.

Comment

Yes I’m looking for a cost effective solution, both initial and running costs. My main question is pros and cons over F/R 996. Like the pad shape into, did not realize that. I need to check if FCP carries that pad. I did not know there was a E90 rotor option, will look into that.

I also want to know if I can get by with this on the track. I’d rather not invest $1600 in this and then find I need to go full Stoptech down the line. I’ve talked to a couple of guys at the track with 996 setups and they’ve said it works. This kit should be similar.
              ‘04 M3

Comment

Ferodo's shape # for D1001 is FCP3067 and Hawk calls theirs HB453. There is a thicker (16mm vs 14.7mm) D1001 that Ferodo makes called FCP1334 but I can't say for sure if that will fit easily. My guess is yes since it's only 1.3mm/pad difference on a caliper that can take a 30mm-wide rotor (E9X).

I could only find the DS2500 version of Ferodo's thicker D1001 on FCPEuro. The early 2010s TTRS uses a D1001-shaped front pad.

Comment

Ferodo's shape # for D1001 is FCP3067 and Hawk calls theirs HB453. There is a thicker (16mm vs 14.7mm) D1001 that Ferodo makes called FCP1334 but I can't say for sure if that will fit easily. My guess is yes since it's only 1.3mm/pad difference on a caliper that can take a 30mm-wide rotor (E9X).

I could only find the DS2500 version of Ferodo's thicker D1001 on FCPEuro. The early 2010s TTRS uses a D1001-shaped front pad.
                  I can confirm the 8J TTRS 16mm thick pads fit with no issues with my Megane calipers. Running FCP3067 DS2500. 345mm new ZCP rotors.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

FCP no longer caries the Ferodo DS1.11 which was the "race" pad for the 996 calipers. I bought a set in January with the install of my 996 retrofit only to find out I was one of the last folks able to do so. I'm bummed because I went with this kit strictly because of the cheap/replacements pads. There are better setups out there for track duty with cheaper pad options.

Comment

So it sounds like the Freaky Parts kit could work well. However now I’m starting to think about their E90 rotor kit using the 360mm x 30mm rotors. Anyone have thoughts on this kit? Same caliper so same piston area with respect to brake bias, but I don’t know if brake bias is effected by increasing rotor diameter only? Would love to have the larger and thicker rotor as a better heat sink.

For those that track with CSL rotors, do you still have overheating problems?
                      ‘04 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
                        So it sounds like the Freaky Parts kit could work well. However now I’m starting to think about their E90 rotor kit using the 360mm x 30mm rotors. Anyone have thoughts on this kit? Same caliper so same piston area with respect to brake bias, but I don’t know if brake bias is effected by increasing rotor diameter only? Would love to have the larger and thicker rotor as a better heat sink.

For those that track with CSL rotors, do you still have overheating problems?
                        The 360mm rotor will give you a higher front brake bias vs using the same caliper on the smaller 345mm rotor.
                        Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post

FCP no longer caries the Ferodo DS1.11 which was the "race" pad for the 996 calipers. I bought a set in January with the install of my 996 retrofit only to find out I was one of the last folks able to do so. I'm bummed because I went with this kit strictly because of the cheap/replacements pads. There are better setups out there for track duty with cheaper pad options.
                          I just sent them an email asking what's going on there.

SRF has gone out of stock a couple of times, which made me assume they were going to drop it, but then it comes back...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I just sent them an email asking what's going on there.

SRF has gone out of stock a couple of times, which made me assume they were going to drop it, but then it comes back...
                            let me know what you hear. I was told I could do a "like exchange" and pay the difference if any but that they no longer have access to that pad. They did say they were trying to research new options but at the moment there is nothing. I do wonder if this is the beginning of the end for free replacement tack pads from FCP?

Racing & Drivers Education Forum - FCPEuro Ferodo DS1.11 - I just ordered and received a front and back set of Ferodo DS1.11 pads for my 2103 Boxster S. Previously I have ordered Sebro slotted rotors and warrantied the front set. My son just called and I confirmed that FCP Euro no longer has the DS1.11 pads for any...

there is also this rennlist thread. In it FCP explicitly states that they will drop ship but when I questioned that and linked the thread I was told no.
                            Last edited by Sergmann; 03-25-2021, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks SWRT - I thought maybe I could get away with it. Makes me think I should stick with CSL rotors, unless someone has calculated the increased bias ratio.

Reading on the UK site M3 cutters, some people complain of a longer brake pedal travel with this kit. Since these calipers were originally designed for a 30mm thick rotor, I thought the e90 rotors would help there as well. Or a bigger master cylinder maybe.
                              ‘04 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X