Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Refreshing Rear Control Arm Bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BubbaTree View Post

I'm still working up the nerve to tackle this project, and hope this is my last question of folks who have replaced the rear differential bushings. Disregarding the front diff. bushing for now, has anyone been able to remove the diff. cover plate without dropping the differential? Those 2 topmost 16mm bolts that hold the cover in place look like they won't come out without somehow moving the diff. around. Thanks!
    Bueller? Bueller? Anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaTree View Post

I'm still working up the nerve to tackle this project, and hope this is my last question of folks who have replaced the rear differential bushings. Disregarding the front diff. bushing for now, has anyone been able to remove the diff. cover plate without dropping the differential? Those 2 topmost 16mm bolts that hold the cover in place look like they won't come out without somehow moving the diff. around. Thanks!
      Yep, loosen the swaybar, then you have to use a box end on those top diff cover bolts, because as you said, the trunk floor is in the way to fit a socket. The good part is that the bolts get shorter and shorter the higher up you go on the cover.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        Yep, loosen the swaybar, then you have to use a box end on those top diff cover bolts, because as you said, the trunk floor is in the way to fit a socket. The good part is that the bolts get shorter and shorter the higher up you go on the cover.

Best news I'v had all day! thanks!

Comment

That said, for the rear diff mount bolts (since you also need to get those off to get the cover off), there is not a lot of room to fit a socket + ratchet (I was not able to get adapters, swivels, extensions that work well there), but there is room to get a socket on with an adapter, per below. This is a similar kit that is recommended to use on the timing chain tensioner.

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 05-08-2021, 10:07 AM.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            That said, for the rear diff mount bolts (since you also need to get those off to get the cover off), there is not a lot of room to fit a socket + ratchet (I was not able to get adapters, swivels, extensions that work well there), but there is room to get a socket on with an adapter, per below. This is a similar kit that is recommended to use on the timing chain tensioner.

Thanks, again!

Comment

Working...
            X