Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karbonius

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mattn1192
    replied
    Originally posted by Stack View Post
    I emailed them

    The race box is just has a built in snorkel
    Instead of adding one it’s 1 piece

    I see ECS has the race box cheaper 🤫

    I went with a regular version awaiting the batch from IND

    AP Motorsport in the UK has them in stock
    I’ve emailed them as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This the one you’re referring to?
    E46 M3 CSL Race Airbox V2 made by Karbonius - New for 2020. The airbox finish is in Gloss 2x2.If you require 1x1 or in matte finish, please contact us for a price. This is by far the best Carbon Fibre Airbox we have seen and dealt with in the past and the attention to detail is very similar to the Genuine BMW AG E46 M3 CSL Airbox supplied by BMW, manufactured by Die Wethje. These boxes are made from the finest quality Pre-preg carbon fibre 2 x 2 twill material which when completed makes these boxes ultra light and rigid.After the moulding process is finished in the state of the art Aluminium mould the part is then left in the Autoclave and this process is the finishing touches to a truly superb piece. The 'M Power' sticker is supplied with the Airbox. Option 1Plastic trumpets version: This is the same airbox but with plastic trumpets (same as the OEM CSL). This goes with 2 year warranty. Airbox is cured in autoclave at 120ºC and 3 BAR prssure. Full carbon trumpets: This piece comes with 5 year warranty. Airbox is cured in autoclave at 135ºC and 5 BAR pressure and has 1 extra varnish coat applied. Option 2ITG Filter: Germany has claimed 2 BHP more with this filter, and it's preoiled and washableOEM CSL: Genuine BMW M3 CSL Air filter. Manufactured by BMC - 13727838625 Option 3Fitting this CSL Airbox you need the following parts from BMW to fit both Manual & SMG E46 M3s. Air Valve shut off - 1x 11617833647 CSL Crank Case Vent Hose - 1x 11157833649 CSL IAT Sensor - 1x 13621739510 2 pole socket housing for CSL IAT Sensor - 1x 12521427615 90 deg protective boot for 2 pole socket housing - 1x 12521732635 Option 4No Dipstick - Use your standard OEM M3. Must require bending into shape to avoid contact with CSL Airbox.Genuine BMW OEM CSL Dipstick. This is short and fits underneath your airbox. Comes as 2 parts - Guide tube & Dipstick -1x 11437834784 & 1x 11437833653 SMG Vehicles: You can purchase the SMG tank and bracket seperately >>HERE<< If you prefer your Karbonius Airbox to be manufctured in 1x1 carbon twill (instead of the standard 2x2 weave) then please message us after ordering. This is a FREE alternative. If you require additional parts such as air feed components for CSL Front Bumpers or Control Unit flap to be operational then please get in contact with us...... E46AD03BMW ref: 116178334961161783349711617833498

    Leave a comment:


  • repoman89
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

    I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.

    Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
    Yeah, the flap is a pretty significant contributor to the complexity of the project too. I put in all the effort to add it in and now I have it programmed to be always open in sport mode (both modes have throttle pedal remapped to my preference, which is basically linear). There is no drivability difference compared to my comfort mode, which uses stock CSL sport mode flap settings. At least two local shops who see a lot of conversions have been really impressed with how well it drives ... I put it down to the PCS tune and MAP sensor. I always run the car in flap open mode, so it was kind of a waste of effort. I'd do the race style next time and skip modifying the DME and adding the extra wiring.

    So the only cold air ducting you run is the kidney grille piece? Nothing from the fake brake duct area?

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by CheckA View Post

    Where did you located your AIT on the oem/race snorkel set up? If you record ambient temp above 10mph, there isn’t really much benefit of having the routed air ducts to the intake of snorkel then?
    That's why I'm not running the ducts.

    It's in the OE location on the clean side of the filter. Not the best picture, but the first one I found in my library where you can see it:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	108317

    Leave a comment:


  • CheckA
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

    I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.

    Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
    Where did you located your AIT on the oem/race snorkel set up? If you record ambient temp above 10mph, there isn’t really much benefit of having the routed air ducts to the intake of snorkel then?

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
    I'm looking at doing this too. Have started to assemble pieces I'll need (MSS54 ECU w/ CSL code, MAP sensor conversion, smaller parts and pieces, etc.) but have a question.

    Race:


    vs. "normal" CSL box + the carbon flap:


    In addition to what's mentioned above, are there any other benefits to one vs. the other?

    I'm not planning on running the BMW flap because of the additional complexity.


    EDIT: I just read thru Cubieman's linked content. Seems like the Normal CSL + flap would allow you to get cooler air to the intake more easily. Other than that, I was thinking along the lines of driveability between the two at lower RPMs when I asked my question.
    I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.

    Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise

    Leave a comment:


  • sc_tr0jan_m3
    replied
    You’ll want to get a proper tune.

    I tried a few tuners before finally going to Randy at Epic Motorsports. He fixed all the issues I had with an alpha n tune. Can’t recommend him enough… he’s been around for years and many of the racers in Nasa/scca run his software.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Casa de Mesa
    replied
    I'm looking at doing this too. Have started to assemble pieces I'll need (MSS54 ECU w/ CSL code, MAP sensor conversion, smaller parts and pieces, etc.) but have a question.

    Race:


    vs. "normal" CSL box + the carbon flap:


    In addition to what's mentioned above, are there any other benefits to one vs. the other?

    I'm not planning on running the BMW flap because of the additional complexity.


    EDIT: I just read thru Cubieman's linked content. Seems like the Normal CSL + flap would allow you to get cooler air to the intake more easily. Other than that, I was thinking along the lines of driveability between the two at lower RPMs when I asked my question.
    Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 05-30-2021, 04:17 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jet_dogg
    replied
    Support the little man, buy direct they're good peeps and accommodating.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cubieman
    replied
    Originally posted by CheckA View Post
    The only advantage I see from the snorkel is if you are looking to connect the air ducts/hoses to the front bumper air inlet for cold air. Which leads me to the next question about air ducts. How is the unfiltered section of the box connect to the air inlet? I see the box has the opening at the bottom for air duct, but where does that lead to exactly?
    The back hole uses a series of peices to pull colder air from down in the black plastic cover panel/brake duct area. There is a 3D computer image of this somewhere on the forums that let's you see what's going on a bit easier.



    I used a section of brake ducting to connect the smaller hole to the brake duct after seeing another member do the same.

    Sharing with the group how I created ducting to my Karbonius airbox with the OEM flap using the standard M3's bumper. The goal is to feed air: - to the snorkel, which is upsteam of (before) the flap on the OEM piece, or just the snorkel itself on the Karbonius snorkel. The snorkel is the beginning section off some airboxes that

    Leave a comment:


  • Cubieman
    replied
    The race version may see cooler intake temps due to the shape especially when NOT using a CSL style front bumper as many won't be using.

    I like the look of the OE snorkel/flap and actually found wiring the flap worth my while after low speed drivability was improved a bit and what felt like was maybe even some low end torque gained at low speed as well.

    One thing that's nice about the factory snorkel assembly (or Karb equiv.) is you can drill a hole down at the "mouth" of it and mount your IAT there for less heatsoak. The stock CSL IAT location does see quite a bit of heatsoak, after relocating the sensor and using the Eventuri piece that ducts more air into the hole in the brake duct I have seen my IAT temps drop significantly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stack
    replied
    I emailed them

    The race box is just has a built in snorkel
    Instead of adding one it’s 1 piece

    I see ECS has the race box cheaper 🤫

    I went with a regular version awaiting the batch from IND

    AP Motorsport in the UK has them in stock
    I’ve emailed them as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • CheckA
    replied
    The only advantage I see from the snorkel is if you are looking to connect the air ducts/hoses to the front bumper air inlet for cold air. Which leads me to the next question about air ducts. How is the unfiltered section of the box connect to the air inlet? I see the box has the opening at the bottom for air duct, but where does that lead to exactly?

    Leave a comment:


  • wahsm
    replied
    Originally posted by CheckA View Post
    Does anyone know the performance and sound difference between their regular vs race boxes? Seem like their race box is cheaper since you don’t have to spent extra for snorkel.
    I asked them about this two weeks ago as probably going to order one in the next month. They said no difference in sound, which I wouldn't really expect there to be, seems to be the same airbox other than the bolt on part for the snorkel. Going to go with the "racebox" since I see no need for the flap.

    Leave a comment:


  • CheckA
    replied
    Does anyone know the performance and sound difference between their regular vs race boxes? Seem like their race box is cheaper since you don’t have to spent extra for snorkel.

    Leave a comment:


  • M3Giovan
    replied
    Thanks for the advise!
    Karbonius + snorkel, straight from K!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X