Is IAT relocation worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IAT relocation worthwhile?

Are the intake temperature sensor relocation kits a worthwhile modification? Im not sure that I would need one or benefit from one yet As it is still not very warm out and I havent logged IAT and timing advance, but I wanted to get some input from those who have them and get some feedback

If you drive your car properly hard and especially live in warmer climate, it's worth relocating it so you avoid heat soak and don't rely on MAF temp. Relocated for me senses at least 10 degrees cooler and the computer doesn't pull timing as much when it's hot.
    Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Would that be of any danger to the engine if it doesn't pull timing when its very hot?

Comment

Originally posted by NaM3 View Post
        Would that be of any danger to the engine if it doesn't pull timing when its very hot?
        It's not like it stops pulling timing completely, it just does it later once the temp at fog light (or wherever you relocate to gets warmer), but that said, when everything is scorching hot (ambient in 100s), temp differential decreases between relocated sensor by the fog light vs MAF.

When you are moving there is def cooler air outside vs under the hood.

I used to get weird misfires and stumbles, especially after hard drives before I relocated because everything was so heat soaked (at least the computer thought so, since it was taking measurements from under the hood, vs true ambient, which again, is much cooler).
        Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

My understanding of the relocation is that the IAT reads excessively high temps due to heat soaking in from the nearby components. As in, the air temp is *actually* X temp, but the IAT in the stock location reads X + Y temp where Y is the extra heat from the MAF and surrounding engine components.

So relocating the IAT means it reads X temp without the extra Y heat, allowing the engine to adjust timing calibrated to the true IAT.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Do not relocate it. This will throw off your fuel trims. And will make u run richer than needed. From a tuning perspectives it's a bad idea. The sensor will not have a consistent delta over what the actual intake temp is. You would be artificially skewing the data whichever way the new location of the iat takes it. The car will run better with the iat closest to ur intake charge as possible. IE ur maf Or ur airbox. Ask me how know.
            Last edited by HassanEido; 04-12-2020, 12:04 AM.
            385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
            -CSL airbox ( custom)
            -280 272 Cat cams
            -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
            -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
            -TMS pullies
            -Electric Fan
            -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

In my E30 days dealing with Megasquirt turbo builds, the fast response GM IAT's (open element vs solid brass) combined with the aggressive default IAT fuel correction values, it would go lean and pull way too much fueling when the sensor got artificially hot. Therefore I always tried to relocate them as close to the intercooler outlet as possible/as far away from the engine itself.

There seems to be a lot of IAT relocation kit offerings in the aftermarket so I had to wonder if it was definitely something to do. I will probably refrain from doing so.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X