CSL King Pin/Knuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL King Pin/Knuckle

Is there any real advantage to the CSL king pins/knuckles on a street only car?

Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

Has it even been confirmed if there's a difference between us/euro/csl kingpins?

There was a "definitive" csl kingpin info thread in the old forum that went like 50+ pages lol

Comment

If I remember correctly CSL king pins push the front wheels out a bit further for a wider track width

Comment

IIRC the difference is they add a degree of negative camber without impacting steering angle inclination like camber plates would.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
          IIRC the difference is they add a degree of negative camber without impacting steering angle inclination like camber plates would.
          This has been confirmed by Volk to be the difference. The track width difference found on the CSL was confirmed to be from wheel offset.

My question is will this difference in the CSL parts be noticeable on a street car.

Jesse
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

You’re going to get a wide range of answers there. There are members on this forum who would swear up and down they can notice a dramatic handling and acceleration differences with a 50 lb weight reduction. There are others who can barely tell a 500 lb difference.

I personally made far too many suspension changes at the same time to be able to tell you the true difference. But in general 1 degree of camber is noticeable, even if it doesn’t give you any true “advantage” in a street context. I think it’d be of particular help for lowered cars since macpherson strut suspensions tend to become more positive the lower you get.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
              You’re going to get a wide range of answers there. There are members on this forum who would swear up and down they can notice a dramatic handling and acceleration differences with a 50 lb weight reduction. There are others who can barely tell a 500 lb difference.

I personally made far too many suspension changes at the same time to be able to tell you the true difference. But in general 1 degree of camber is noticeable, even if it doesn’t give you any true “advantage” in a street context. I think it’d be of particular help for lowered cars since macpherson strut suspensions tend to become more positive the lower you get.
              Thanks.

I am preparing to move from Eibach coilovers to TC Kline. I would prefer to install them with E36 upper strut mounts rather than camber plates. I am trying to determine if the CSL parts would help facilitate this and/or provide any other worthwhile advantages. On the other hand, it is a street car and I don't usually run more than about 1.5 degrees of negative camber anyway. Perhaps the $600 would be better spent elsewhere?

Jesse
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Don't understand how ecs is claiming there to be a diff in track, 10mm is huge.

Anyone have these in stock right now?
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

CSL front wheels are each 12.7mm wider plus 3mm more aggressive offset. Neither combo comes to 10mm. Width of wheel wouldn't create a wider track at the hub, but you'd have 6.3mm more wheel at the outer edge. 3mm offset x 2 = 6mm, not 10mm.

Or is it that each hub is 2mm further out, plus 3mm offset on each = 10mm?
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

According to Volke who sounds like he knows what he's talking about-

That's a myth due to the CSL having 10 mm wider track width up front. 6mm comes from the wheels being 3mm lower offset. The other 4mm is from the change in control arm angle at the lower ride height.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                    X