Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with emissions testing/inspection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with emissions testing/inspection?

Passing emissions has always been an ordeal for me, even when the car was stock and should pass. I am in Connecticut where any vehicle under 25 years old is required to pass the OBD emissions test every 2 years, or they won't let you register the car. I have considered registering the car in a different state, which turned out to be possible but a bit shady. So the next option is get it to pass in CT. As the car normally sits, it has a standalone ecu, no SAP, no cats, and no OEM O2 sensors. So not a chance at passing.

What I was thinking was to get the OEM parts required to make the emissions systems happy, and only run them for the test. Stock ecu, stock pre cat o2's, SAP, and stock injectors. The exhaust did originally have cats, so visually it looks like it has them, and I could just code the stock DME for no cats. Swapping all those parts is quick and easy, however I am still unsure of some things. There are bungs to run both pre-cat o2 sensors, however they would both be reading from all 6 cylinders, instead of bank 1 and 2 separately, which could be an issue. The car also runs a MAP sensor and does not have a stock MAF. The turbo kit came with the maximumpsi MAF but I believe it will not work with the stock ECU without coding for it.

If I could figure those issues out, and just make sure it doesn't see boost with this setup, I think its my best option. I'd like to hear from anyone that has been successful with something like this or even a completely different route.

Buy an LLC in Montana and register your vehicle there. I live in CA, thats what I do & is super easy. No more smog, no inspections & no more cops bugging about performance parts.

Comment

Originally posted by M3Guy View Post
      Buy an LLC in Montana and register your vehicle there. I live in CA, thats what I do & is super easy. No more smog, no inspections & no more cops bugging about performance parts.
      I have heard of that for supercars but assumed it wasn't worth it unless I was trying to avoid sales tax on a million dollar car. What is the process and costs I should expect for that?

Comment

Originally posted by M3Guy View Post
        Stupid question, what does the acronym “LLC” stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by Flex408 View Post
          Stupid question, what does the acronym “LLC” stand for?
          Limited Liability Company
          ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
          ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

For anyone who was curious, I looked into the process and cost of Montana registration. There are a few companies that will do the entire process for you including the LLC. The website I looked at was around $800 for everything which is pretty reasonable. Also, you can get permanent plates on anything 11 years or older. If this is as simple as it appears, I will be kicking myself for the amount of time/money I have wasted trying to get this car to pass emissions.

My only remaining questions have to do with the car being registered to the LLC not my name. First, am I going to have any difficulties if I get pulled over and the officer sees that the car is registered to the LLC? And how would insurance work?

Comment

Working...
            X