Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much oil vapor do you get from your S54 Crankcase vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much oil vapor do you get from your S54 Crankcase vent?

i haven't installed the catch can yet, just got the DME tuned for idle and part throttle. i noticed that my crankcase vent on top of the valve cover emits what feels to be a large amount of oil vapor.

i'm pulling -19 psi in vacuum per my boost gauge if that helps.

here is a video showing the amount of oil vapors.

Saw your post on Facebook. It’s normal. Mine does about the same and it’s built. But pulls 20-21 inches of vac.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas1996 View Post
      Saw your post on Facebook. It’s normal. Mine does about the same and it’s built. But pulls 20-21 inches of vac.
      great thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'm pretty sure ill end up having to get a larger catch can since mine is only the size of about a coke can lol

Comment

I wonder if it’s an altitude thing. I never get more than 18 mmHg vacuum unless in gear decelerating. That was before and after my engine build. I think saad makes a big can that goes where the secondary air pump goes. My radium can needs to be emptied after a few days of heavy racing.
        IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

thanks guys, i have one line going from top crankcase vent on valve cover to input on catch can......and the output line on the catch can i was either going to just put a vent breather filter OR run a 3/4" hose down to the ground for any additional vapors that dont remain in the can.

what did you guys do for your catch can routing?

Comment

Just wondering what you ended up doing OP, routing-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

i ended up using just a small filter on the output on the catch can. it does cause my BIN area to get a little oily from the vapors so i dont like that.... i tried running a line off te catch can o the bottom of the frame rail under the car but i didnt like the thought of oil being hrown onto the ground near wheels or in front of rear wheels potentially so i put the filter back on the catch can

im still trying to figure out what to do..

A. just deal with the oily vapors i the drug bin area
              B. run the catch can line back to PRE TURBO intake pipe (CON is that it lowers octane rating slightly and causes turbo compressor housing to get oily faster than normal)

Comment

Yea, seems like predicament, another thought is two catch cans in series. I also have some Supra friends that route the pcv into the exhaust, typically on down pipe or later (no cats) and they angle the bung at 45’ so it creates a vacuum. Not much smoking either. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

Working...
                X