Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle Options and Opinions

Hello all,

My m3 has a snail attached to it and I’m looking at swapping out the stock axles while I have the diff upgraded. I’m currently looking at two options:

1) Driveshaftshop is the more proven of the two choices. I have their one piece driveshaft and it’s great. Their customer service was so-so but the product was great quality. I have a feeling their axles would be great. A downside would be wait time at 4 to 8 weeks. I have two buddies with their axles and they both waited around 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. Quality > everything but it’s absolutely something to consider.

2) Insane Shafts is less proven in the e46 m3 community as far as I can tell. A buddy of mine uses their axles on a couple builds and swears by them. They offer 500hp axles and 1,000hp axles at different prices. I’ve been emailing their service department and they are fairly quick with responses which is a great start. I have seen a few “these were terrible axles” posts online but most reviews have been overwhelmingly positive (both customer service and product quality).

Does anyone have experience with either company? Does anyone suggest a different company? I’m mainly curious about Insane Shafts as they are somewhat local to me but as I mentioned prior, quality > everything.

I'm curious how you got the DSS driveshaft to fit. I tried and with the CV adapter it wouldn't clear the body in front of the differential.
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

The driveshaft fit like a glove. Did you contact DSS? Like I mentioned, in my experience, their customer service is so-so. Emails aren't replied to, phones are put on hold and not picked up after 10 minutes, etc. Overall, the phone was the best method of communication for me.

Comment

My buddy ran them in his integra when they were fairly a new company. All motor . 300fwhp and like 220wtq. Snapped literally 6 sets from them. They kept sending him new ones but every track day was ruined for a while.

Comment

Just an update - I went with Driveshaftshop based on pricing, reviews and ease of warranty claim(s). I haven’t received them but I will post more updates once I do.

Additionally, I purchased a ZF LSD and proper output flanges from Racing Diffs. I just got them in the mail and will post an update after the break-in period. The packaging of the LSD/flanges was phenomenal! Racing Diffs is based in Serbia. Shipping was $120 and they used DHL. I got the items in about a week (quick considering the pandemic). So far I’m very impressed with Racing Diffs communication, knowledge and pricing. Attached are images of the packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerBrown View Post
            Just an update - I went with Driveshaftshop based on pricing, reviews and ease of warranty claim(s). I haven’t received them but I will post more updates once I do.

Additionally, I purchased a ZF LSD and proper output flanges from Racing Diffs. I just got them in the mail and will post an update after the break-in period. The packaging of the LSD/flanges was phenomenal! Racing Diffs is based in Serbia. Shipping was $120 and they used DHL. I got the items in about a week (quick considering the pandemic). So far I’m very impressed with Racing Diffs communication, knowledge and pricing. Attached are images of the packaging.
            What’s the benefit of the ZF diff?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas1996 View Post

What’s the benefit of the ZF diff?
              Longer lasting, more aggressive, more options. Check out this post for GREAT information:

It talks about the e9x diff but it’s still an M GKN unit.

Comment

Longer lasting, more aggressive, more options. Check out this post for GREAT information:

It talks about the e9x diff but it’s still an M GKN unit.
                Thanks for the info!

Comment

I'm interested in your review of the diff as i'm considering racing diffs also
                  Do you track your car?
                  Did you upgrade to ramps option?

Comment

I’m waiting for the diff to be rebuilt and the dss axles to come in before the car can be driven. The diff builder said everything “went together great.” That obviously doesn’t mean a whole hell of a lot but that’s one box checked.

The car won’t be tracked, mostly 1/2 mile, canyons and the like. Here’s a link to the unit I bought:

Your RacingDiffs team. Motorsport limited slip differential (LSD) for BMW 210mm case. #Limited slip differential, carrier, spool, sperre, sperrdifferential, clutch type lsd, bmw, motorsport, rally, lsd, large case, e36, m3 3.2, s52, evo, E34 v8, e32 v12, e31, e28, 535m, e46, e92, e39, e60, m5, m6.

I wish I was buying now as it’s 20% off... damn!

Once I get to drive the car I’ll be able to give my opinion.

Comment

Below is a photo of the diff all buttoned up. The guy who put it together commented the Racing Diffs LSD fit well and appeared to be good quality. He normally builds Toyota Diffs (Supra’s mostly) and said the backlash was a bit tighter but consistent with the other bmw diffs he had done. The rebuild kit I assembled was accurate and worked well (Timken races, bearings and OE bmw parts). The euro e36 stubs went on fine as well.

The Driveshaft Shop is taking a while to get the axles shipped. They were sent out 7 weeks ago but COVID has slowed the whole world down so I’m fine with the wait. I’ll make comments on them once they arrive.

Comment

Wow I love the detailed description racing diffs gives for setup advice just in the description. It's super easy to set a diff up yourself and they give almost everything you need.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                        X