No announcement yet.

Karbonius CF reproduction of standard S54 plenum (EOI) - **PROTOTYPE VIDEO**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karbonius CF reproduction of standard S54 plenum (EOI) - **PROTOTYPE VIDEO**

Hi all,

I come on these forums semi-regularly but have not posted before. I have a Z4M Coupe, so I mostly research, look at build threads, the dyno thread, etc, on here.

I'm not totally sure this should be in the GB section, so sorry if I've put this thread in the wrong place.

Anyway, over on zpost we are gathering expressions of interest in a run of carbon replicas of the standard S54 plenum, produced by Karbonius. For Z4s, we don't have the option of running a CSL MAP setup so installing a CSL-style intake means alpha-n tuning, which is good enough for some but not for others. So, the idea is to achieve some of the CSL intake sound, keeping the MAF and without having to adjust the car's tune at all. Of coure, it will not make any more power than the stock plenum. Some Z4 owners have Eventuri, Gruppe M, AFE intakes, but the hope is that a carbon plenum would add more on top of this. How much more, we don't know. For E46 M3 owners who have the option of going with a full CSL intake and MAP-based tune, this is likely to be less attractive, but I'm hoping there will be enough to get us over the minimum number of EOI Karbonius is looking for to make a test (20). We currently have 12 EOI from Z4 owners, so we aren't too far away. If the test plenum is a failure, then no one is committed to buying one. Pasted below is the information from zpost. If you're interested, please post to let me know.

Karbonius has estimated the price will be about 1,200 Euro.

To summarise Karbonius's reply, if we can find 20 people to express an interest in purchasing a CF version of the stock plenum, they will make a test.

"Hi Michael, thanks so much for contacting us with so interesting topic!! Isn´t the first time someone asking for this!!

Yes, we could do it, but there are any problems with this, the first is the coist of the molds!! an standar mold in GF only to make 20 or 30 pieces , could cost around 3000€, and then the pieces.. this is the first problem..

the second, is until we made the first unit we didn´t know what will be the sound, if louder or lower sound comparing with CSL, at first I would say lower than CSL, and this could be a problem, expend a lot of money on the mold and finally didn´t get the expected sound !!!

We could make a test, but we should have at least 20 interested persons in it!!"
    Last edited by ///MBan; 07-08-2022, 05:55 PM.

If this does pan out, this can be cool for those of us who live in Commiefornia who don't want the hassle of swapping out the CSL airbox every 2 years. I'll admit it doesn't take a long time to swap out the CSL intake box back to the OE one and vice versa but if this is louder than the stock airbox, cool. Plus the eye candy. bump for our Z4M friends out there who got shafted by not being able to get a CSL airbox "easily".
    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
    ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
      If this does pan out, this can be cool for those of us who live in Commiefornia who don't want the hassle of swapping out the CSL airbox every 2 years. I'll admit it doesn't take a long time to swap out the CSL intake box back to the OE one and vice versa but if this is louder than the stock airbox, cool. Plus the eye candy. bump for our Z4M friends out there who got shafted by not being able to get a CSL airbox "easily".
      Thanks - that’s an advantage I hadn’t thought of. Hopefully we can get enough EOI to at least have a test plenum made.

Comment

We’re up to 16 EOI now, so not that far away from the minimum 20 required for Karbonius to make a test.

Comment

Id be interested after seeing the test run/hearing it, not that that helps haha

Comment

Originally posted by Yeetus View Post
            Id be interested after seeing the test run/hearing it, not that that helps haha
            Same here lol.

Comment

Hi Yeetus and jrgatfh,

If the sound met your expectations at the test stage, would you purchase the production model?

That's essentially what we're doing here: finding enough people who would buy the production version if the test works.

If the test doesn't work as hoped, no one is obliged to buy one (and I doubt Karbonius would be interested in going ahead anyway).

But, what success looks/sounds like could vary from person to person so I can understand if people are hesitant.

Comment

PS. we have 17 EOI now.

Comment

Hey, thanks for arranging this. I am interested in this.

Comment

Originally posted by GemsZho View Post
                    Hey, thanks for arranging this. I am interested in this.
                    Thank you very much - you are lucky number 19 - 1 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by ///MBan View Post
                      Hi Yeetus and jrgatfh,

If the sound met your expectations at the test stage, would you purchase the production model?

That's essentially what we're doing here: finding enough people who would buy the production version if the test works.

If the test doesn't work as hoped, no one is obliged to buy one (and I doubt Karbonius would be interested in going ahead anyway).

But, what success looks/sounds like could vary from person to person so I can understand if people are hesitant.
                      I might be interested but I would want to wait until this is produced and people are running it on their cars.

As you said, success can vary from person to person.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post

I might be interested but I would want to wait until this is produced and people are running it on their cars.

As you said, success can vary from person to person.
                        Just needs 20 people interested. You could be 20. I didn't see deposit or upfront fee involved.

Comment

If this does pan out, this can be cool for those of us who live in Commiefornia who don't want the hassle of swapping out the CSL airbox every 2 years.
                          Maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't this still get flagged for no CARB number? I assume any obviously aftermarket pieces will automatically require a CARB number come smog time.
                          2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                          ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post

Maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't this still get flagged for no CARB number? I assume any obviously aftermarket pieces will automatically require a CARB number come smog time.
                            My thought was a "blind" smog tech might think it was a CF vinyl wrapped stock box and look past it

But you're right; it won't have an EO number on it.
                            "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                            ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

My thought was a "blind" smog tech might think it was a CF vinyl wrapped stock box and look past it

But you're right; it won't have an EO number on it.
                              Bummer. I wanted to be wrong in this case It's a great idea and such a shame something so ultimately trivial smog-wise is forbidden by CA. But not unexpected.
                              2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                              ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Working...
                              X