Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a positive note, Matt and Rene have worked together to solve the problem and are sending me another diffuser. Thanks a bunch guys.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

defect in clearcoat. what are my options?
      Attached Files

Comment

PM me your order number. I sent the pictures to René already.

He's looking into small wooden crates for future shipments. UPS is really messing these up it seems.

Comment

I received my diffuser today. Thankfully, I fared better than oceansize - box was intact and undamaged. I did a visual inspection of the diffuser (took photos and took a video with the diffuser lying flat) once I opened the box and all looked good. I am not a CF weave expert but the exposed carbon portion looked very even/symmetrical, so very good workmanship to my untrained eyes. I went ahead did the install - here are my observations.

1) Fitment is 7/10. Tabs lined up to bumper slots and took a little effort to ease the leading edge into the bumper "channel". Of the six plastic tabs to hold diffuser into bumper , 4 lined perfectly, no effort required to align but 2 of them I had to insert at an angle and slowly work then into place so they sat flush. Top edge of diffuser lined up perfectly to the rear bumper - this resolved the pain point I had with the Taiwanese made diffuser since it was made of stiffer material so the leading edge was thicker so I wouldn't stay properly seated in the channel.

However, the left and right side edge is off by about a quarter to half an inch off - noticeable on the "step" or "wave" on the lower part of the bumper. Not sure of this was what was indicated earlier on in the group buy about the design difference/BMW parent. There is a possibility that my bumper is misaligned but the stock M3 diffiuser (made of plastic and thus more pliable) does not have the issue

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1926small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	107040

2) Paint and finish - paint looks lustrous and match to factory steel grey. However, the clear coat is imperfect in multiple locations - multiple tiny bubble along the top edge of the exposed carbon. allI didn't notice when I did the visual inspection earlier (since you have view it from the top). Its one of those things that you can't unsee....so disappointing for sure.

Its definitely a step above what I had installed previously in terms of quality and fitment - it looks great from 5 feet away and GB price ended up being about 2x what I paid 7 years ago. I can actually live with the sides being off but the clear coat bubbling will bug me every time I see it - its very obvious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930small.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	107059

Attached Files
          Last edited by azmirm5; 05-25-2021, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I don't understand how something so obvious could leave the paintshop looking like that.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Wetsand it?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

The clear coat is "popping" - which is usually sign of too little intercoat flash drying time. Popping by itself can be solved by wet sanding and polishing - so this can be fixed on your end. I'll chat with René to see how long these cure before being shipped, as it may require finishing adjustments before being sent. The clear coat aspect is something that should be picked up at finishing as these are wet sanded and polished - as it stands, I believe the are popping in transit as they leave the paint shop too soon.
                Last edited by Epoustouflant; 05-26-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

More UPS carnage... The box didn't look too bad but I think it was crushed end to end based on the damage. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210526_130916820.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	108431 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210526_131034647.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	108433 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210526_131014333.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	108432 Working with Matt and Rene to figure out the best option.

Comment

Why don't these guys use sturdy boxes when shipping delicate painted parts internationally? There needs to reinforced corners, styrofoam and multiple layers of cushioning on the ends. I get stuff from germany for my work that comes in this flimsy ass chinese cardboard man I don't get it. When I ship stuff out I make sure it's bomb proof.

Then I get other stuff that's us made in stout, square, stiff american made cardboard. Don't the euro guys know delivery guys are playing soccer with our packages? On the birght side that carbon looks great.

Anyway, I shouldn't even be talking because I didn't order a diffuser so my sincerest apologies.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                      Why don't these guys use sturdy boxes when shipping delicate painted parts internationally? There needs to reinforced corners, styrofoam and multiple layers of cushioning on the ends. I get stuff from germany for my work that comes in this flimsy ass chinese cardboard man I don't get it. When I ship stuff out I make sure it's bomb proof.

Then I get other stuff that's us made in stout, square, stiff american made cardboard. Don't the euro guys know delivery guys are playing soccer with our packages? On the birght side that carbon looks great.

Anyway, I shouldn't even be talking because I didn't order a diffuser so my sincerest apologies.
                      The feedback was well received. René is currently testing multiple different packaging options that are legal for use by standard couriers. All upcoming diffusers to ship will have the updated packaging. There were 4x reported with damages - UPS really messed it out as René has shipped over 100 of these over the year in Europe with no issues.

Comment

As a follow up to this. René has updated the packaging on all current orders and is working to replace or compensate members for any damaged ones.

Some newbies and pictures of the updated packaging. He increased the cardboard density and thickness, added foam and more bubble wrapping.

Finally got more member feedback and installed examples as well here.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 10.25.13 AM.png
Views:	392
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	109204
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Epoustouflant; 06-05-2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

However, the left and right side edge is off by about a quarter to half an inch off - noticeable on the "step" or "wave" on the lower part of the bumper. Not sure of this was what was indicated earlier on in the group buy about the design difference/BMW parent. There is a possibility that my bumper is misaligned but the stock M3 diffiuser (made of plastic and thus more pliable) does not have the issue

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1926small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	107040

This sort of alignment and the blend line between bumper and diffuser is a little disappointing for the price point of these. Is this the area that’s being altered to avoid infringing on bmws design? the paint lines also seem to vary quite a bit from the various posts in here

would be great to see some more photos from a 3/4 view at bumper level
                          2003 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Black

Comment

Another diffuser shipped today. There's 4x left from the last batch and René is working on the replacements that UPS damaged.

Name:	c15f88c5-b48a-4687-9da1-3efb972631bf.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	110080
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
                              Another diffuser shipped today. There's 4x left from the last batch and René is working on the replacements that UPS damaged.

Name:	c15f88c5-b48a-4687-9da1-3efb972631bf.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	110080
                              How do I get my hands on one of the 4 left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post

How do I get my hands on one of the 4 left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Those are spoken for. I can slip you in at GB pricing on a new one Send me a PM and we'll go from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X